Dual wheels on quad

monkeybusiness

Each track is no more than about 15kg complete, so about 60kg all in. Less the original wheels and tires. Still weighty enough though. Cost wise I'd have to be pretty much stuck for any other idea before fitting them!! Dual wheels are ok, would give a much wider footprint, and I suppose you could maybe just fit rear duals. Tbh I've never found any conditions personally that standard wheels and tire can't handle.

Those tracks look like they'd be pretty heavy. The beauty of a quad is that if it does get stuck you can just lift it out 9 times out of 10....not sure you'd be able to do that with the tracks on!

I agree - they do look amazing though! I would imagine they are super expensive too. I don't think they will be suitable for my application.

JWheelz look very promising, as stocked by Fieldens. Has anyone used these? The info suggests they can provide enough flotation to make some quads totally buoyant (I'm only looking at putting them on a 4x4 trx 300 which is nice and light to start). The other bonus is that they don't affect steering etc on flat ground. I think you'd have to be a bit careful giving it some beans on anything other than super flat ground though, as I'm sure they would instantly change handling characteristics if they come into contact with the floor!

I love the look of those mud plugging tyres, but the idea on this site is to try and avoid digging big holes in the first place preferably.

yer know what you mean borrowed the farmers quad and trailer the other day to get some hedge laying stakes out to where i was working was so wet had to push it out while holding the throttle open to get it out the field. tracks look heavy but may spread the load enough to make them work but like most things comes down to cost

Each track is no more than about 15kg complete, so about 60kg all in. Less the original wheels and tires. Still weighty enough though. Cost wise I'd have to be pretty much stuck for any other idea before fitting them!! Dual wheels are ok, would give a much wider footprint, and I suppose you could maybe just fit rear duals. Tbh I've never found any conditions personally that standard wheels and tire can't handle.

The site in mind definitely won't support a standard quad - taking one on might end up being a stupid idea full stop TBH! You couldn't walk across the land, you'd sink very quickly.

Plenty of tracked Quads at LAMMA and a couple of dual wheel systems on display also.

I'm a big fan of Stocks duals on tractors and their capabilities are brilliant in comparison to standard.

A tracked quad will just be stupid money and plenty of other alternatives that will probably retain the money better and have more dual purpose.

There is a company doing Schaad Dual wheel systems in Rugeley here PRODUCTS PRODUCT SEGMENTS STARCO.com.

In my humble opinion it's something you could pretty much rig up yourself?

I dualled up an old mini as a kid for the fields just by bolting rims together back to back and it transformed it.

Hopefully Charlieh will be along soon as he's the man in the know about these.

Eddie

fieldens and starco both do the schaad clic system, very quick and easy IIRC they were about £900 for a rear set when i priced them 2 years ago, so a lot cheaper than tracks.

general feeling was you would only need rears for 99% of work, also fronts will make the steering very heavy unless your on powersteering.

The schaad duals work on the duals being ever so slightly smaller diameter than the orginal tyres so you only get the extra floation when you really need it.

I would say give the guys at starco a bell for a chat as they are in the imported for the system.

tracks would be fine for wet grassland, snow etc, but on a wetland if you break through the vegetation layer you dont actually have floatation that you would with duals, you essentially just have very low ground pressure with tracks.

• 3 months later...