Newbie Chainsaw Carving Saws

Luke Kershaw

Could anyone give me some insight into whether any of these saws would be any good for a newbie into chainsaw carving please?

The prices are as follows:

Stihl MS 181 - £238.26p

Stihl MS 211 - £304.96p

Stihl MS 201 - £623.28p

All saws at that price include Bar/Chain and will have 15% taken off the initial price.

The reason being a Stihl is because there is a highly recommended supplier here in Guernsey, Channel Islands.

I've been in contact with Ed Robinson of Northampton and Ed has been really helpful with information regarding what I would need to start up with.

He recommended to begin with:

Cannon 12" Quarter tip at £65.00 and 1/4" pitch for 12" Quarter tip at £20.50

Thanks for any help available,

crotch_hopper

I would have a word with RobD on this site about the chain/bar. you have the right idea but he might be able to give you a better price :) I get all my chainsa from him now

as for the saws... any would do

At the moment i use an old MS180 which is a great little saw for detail work (but i use larger saws for blocking out). You can get them very cheep now and they are ideal as first starter carvings saws BUT they donw have much power and so you have to go easy. Im also not a fan of the oiler which seems to have a habit of dying (as has mine by the looks o fit).

i would go for teh 181 or the 211 personally (Im probably going to order a new detailing-saw v soon myself and it will be one of those)

dont forget the PPE tho

Get a 211 of fr jones, saves you £50 on the prices you have there.

Use that £50 on some decent safety kit.

You'll then have a 14" bar which suits that saw ok for getting your log to size and can then put the carving bar on for your actual carving.

This will be your most versatile set-up from the three saws you mention.

You might get bored with changing bars after a while, but you will either learn to live with it or have an excuse to buy another saw.

Don't forget you'll need a different sprocket to run a carving bar on any of those saws but there dead easy to swap and don't cost much.

Hi dervishcarving,

Thanks for message, I've just sent RobD a PM. Yesterday I had an impulsive buy for a Echo CS 270 WES! Was slightly cheaper than the Stihl MS 211 but not gonna operate it until I've had more advice (it can go back on the return).

Anyways just looking forward to running the saw in and get busy with the mushrooms! All the PPE is there from tree climbing, well padded up like the Michelin man!

Hi Rover, will I need a different sprocket for the Echo 270 WES?

Not sure as no experience with that saw, but I think it runs a 3/8 0.050" chain and most if not all carving bars are 1/4" I think (?)

Rob Dyer will be able to tell you, he da man when bars and chain and such are concerned!

There is a whole thread on carving saws started a few weeks ago.

Dave (Dervish) if you are gatting oil flow problems its most likely a build up of fine saw dust blocking the oil filter and line. if i remember that saw correctly turn it upside down and you will see a black rubber pipe which you can pull off and then push through into the oil tank before removing it through the filling hole. they clean up easily with a bit of wire.

Cheers Tom. I will have a look in a sec to see if that pipe is obvious. To be fair on the wee beast, its had a lot of hard work in the past 6 or 8 months. I have easily sold enough pieces to replace it but i will try everythign before i buy another. If i do buy another i think i will go for a 211. for the extra £70 its worth it for the extra versatility of the 211 and (as far as i can figure) the sprocket/bar/chain combination i have will work fine.

There is a whole thread on carving saws started a few weeks ago.

Dave (Dervish) if you are gatting oil flow problems its most likely a build up of fine saw dust blocking the oil filter and line. if i remember that saw correctly turn it upside down and you will see a black rubber pipe which you can pull off and then push through into the oil tank before removing it through the filling hole. they clean up easily with a bit of wire.

Edited by dervishcarving