Totteridge yew

David Humphries

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

it was brilliant. shame they had to wall it off from people and vandals... think it used to be very big dia but there was a fire? i do have some pics somewhere, also of the information boards :001_smile:

If you get the time, I'd appreciate seeing any images.

Not been to fortinghall for too long.

I've found out from one who is involved that during the summer of 2011 the yew had an application of bone, blood & fishmeal & then was mulched with locally sourced elm & sycamore.

It was then subjected to 'a good long watering' at the time

The mulch is currently covered in a variety of fungi, most of which I would assume are sapros and what may have been a cluster of a Tricholoma species.

ive always sworn by that, blood fish and bone meal, very natural slow release and hard to overdose, imposible in fact, no ill effect can come of thisfertiliser, not even to the myco/flora and fauna:thumbup1:

I have heard of ground pummice also being effective (Lee Klinger)

I wonder around what really is the most benefit to ailing trees in terms of what 'we' decided to use & do for them.

Particularly ones where we have intervened and (more often than not) not done any pre, during and post soil sampling.

How can we be sure that soils are impoverished for certain nutrients and that what we add 'fixes' the deficiencies.

I recall looking and talking around one of the vet (1000 year old) oaks at Windsor a few years ago where Casper & Bill retold how a two/three year drought had severely depleted the energy reserves of the tree to the point where it wasn't producing enough photosynthetic material to sustain itself that year.

Casper mulched it & near drowned it with a bowser full of water which appeared to do the job.

These images below are from a couple of years on from when he watered it (sadly no shots of it ailing)

Perhaps we just don't do the basics enough and try and science up the issues.

Who knows whether the added NPK will have helped the yew or not, or whether it was just the mulch & water.

Guess we'll never know.

DSC00896.jpg.df2e455cba5650fe565e88e5919f6f28.jpg

DSC00897.jpg.82b0c014740d3f23aa3ec16d6258da44.jpg

DSC00898.jpg.9657f04c60ae558aefd6b36e672b224a.jpg