Totteridge yew

David Humphries

Been keeping a passing eye on this fine old veteran for the last few years.

Believed to be somewhere in the region of 2000 years old

Features in Timeouts Great Trees of London

First shot from 2008

Second in 2010 (when it was looking very ropey)

& from yesterday looking much healthier & fairly recovered post mulching.

If the recovery is due to the mulch in whole then well done to those involved :thumbup1:

9.jpg.e589f816a8a735f883e4c0be3b8aea33.jpg

IMG_6004.jpg.d87d80f03b12138b41ec40ea1e6e501f.jpg

5976631219740_DSC003951.jpg.9ac68cdc6c1edc2bdc6eedf35146452a.jpg

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Been keeping a passing eye on this fine old veteran for the last few years.

Believed to be somewhere in the region of 2000 years old

Features in Timeouts Great Trees of London

First shot from 2008

Second in 2010 (when it was looking very ropey)

& from yesterday looking much healthier & fairly recovered post mulching.

If the recovery is due to the mulch in whole then well done to those involved :thumbup1:

nice to see it back to good health, just goes to show how tough yew trees can be :)

What a remarkable difference from 2010. Would be interesting to know if mulch was the only helping hand given, and details of said mulching; seaon, species, depth, time between chipping and spreading etc.

I know the person who was partially involved.

I'll try and get those answers.

Mulch species looked random and failrly thick but it was under snow yesterday so didn't get a great look.

This thread has made my day David:)...Yews are my fave tree and i am obsessed with them...my favourite read is "the sacred yew"which has an excellent gazetteer of all alive and not so alive veterans as well as girth measurements of yews in the uk...the Totteridge is looking in better health:thumbup: a couple if years ago i went in search if the Llangenyw yew...found it...estimated at around 5,000 years old.

This thread has made my day David:)...Yews are my fave tree and i am obsessed with them...my favourite read is "the sacred yew"which has an excellent gazetteer of all alive and not so alive veterans as well as girth measurements of yews in the uk...the Totteridge is looking in better health:thumbup: a couple if years ago i went in search if the Llangenyw yew...found it...estimated at around 5,000 years old.

You should take a trip up to see it Paul, its on the northern line.

Not had the privilage of visiting the Llangernyw yew, but my father took me to see the Fortingall yew in Perthshire when I was a lad. Suffice to say it left its mark :thumbup1:

Howdee fella, do you note any/many old yews in Sweden Josh?

Not in Stockholms climate or north of Stockholm, can't comment for the south and the warmer climate there though.

Just asked Marie and neither if us can remember working on one or seeing bigger than 6inch dbh

Tree species diversity is very limited compared to good old England!