No wonder our country is messed up

Hodge

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I heard the local firm wasn't far off on price, I think that just shows how tight it is.

Thats a shame then. But I expect the council can't have favourites on this. I think you should approach the firm but don't expect great money. Most contracts are won on cheap, cheap, cheap then make profit from the extras/ smart working in my experience

We are registered on the same online portal as this contract no doubt went out on and gives us the opportunity to tender for work elsewhere also.

Works both ways...

Although I do understand very much where you are coming from - notice any local plant on Kendals new doctors surgery or hospital extension or the project to turn that old Renault garage into apartments? Neither did I.

We are registered on the same online portal as this contract no doubt went out on and gives us the opportunity to tender for work elsewhere also.

Works both ways...

Although I do understand very much where you are coming from - notice any local plant on Kendals new doctors surgery or hospital extension or the project to turn that old Renault garage into apartments? Neither did I.

Yes your right there, and same with k village, although they did use local subbies for a lot of jobs.

its all about the money they have saved (not spent) at the end of the year,reliability and quality of work does not come into it now.

I disagree. As a Local Authority arb employee we vetted our new contractors extensively on many criteria outside of the £. Yes some are cheaper than the local firms and that's what its all about ££ you have to be realistic it means we can do more work for less money and isn't that a good thing?

Whoever mentioned about shopping at Supermarkets rather than local stores pretty much hit the nail on the head and killed this discussion.

Works both ways...

Yes your right there, and same with k village, although they did use local subbies for a lot of jobs.

And therein lies the rub:001_smile:

Absolutely,most of us running a small firm will positively recomend buying kit from the cheapest dealer on line,rather than go to our local supliers.

So to criticise out of town arb companies getting 'our' local contracts is a bit like the pot calling the kettle.

It is the way we do business nowadays,& its mostly about money.:001_smile:

Absolutely,most of us running a small firm will positively recomend buying kit from the cheapest dealer on line,rather than go to our local supliers.

So to criticise out of town arb companies getting 'our' local contracts is a bit like the pot calling the kettle.

It is the way we do business nowadays,& its mostly about money.:001_smile:

I buy kit off my local supplier as well as online. I buy stuff off my local fruit and veg shop and butcher as well as morrisons. The local tree firms had the contract for 20 years.

1 - the company will almost certainly use local crews to do the work. Why would they want to cover the cost of 200 miles' worth of diesel eveyr day?

2 - it's not about keeping procurement managers happy, it's about staying within the law. Procurement rules are very strict for public bodies and they can't rule people out just because they're not local without a very strong justification.

3 - Unless the person running the contract is a complete moron, the spec will have included performance criteria for emergency operations and the like, so the the company will have had to show that they can meet these criteria as part of the tendering process.

5 - How would anyone here feel if they tendered for a contract and a company that put in a higher price won it just because they were local?

6 - As has been said, the supermarket v local shop argument is pretty conclusive.