Rotating Laser Level ??

blades

I have got a very simple Stabila that has a level-able base that has a separate laser level that you place on top but you have to rotate yourself. Fantastically accurate but a bit tedious having to go back and change which way it points for each mark. But easy if you have second pair of hands.

I assume you're looking for a single grade laser for general outdoor use in Construction/Landscaping?

My recommendation would be to go straight for one of the two main names either Leica or Topcon who are undoubtedly the market leaders.

For general use you will not better a Leica Rugby, which is extremely simple to operate and built with all day long outdoor site use in mind.

It really is a case of unpack, place on the tripod or other suitable reasonably flat surface and then press the on button.

They level automatically within quite a range, and I sometimes laugh to see people getting all the tripod out just for a few seconds work, when you can simply place it on something like a dumper mudguard or machine track and it'll do the same job.

You will have a choice of receivers, but ensure you get one with a display on the front and rear? Sounds a bit odd, but so much easier when you're trying to hold the receiver facing the laser and look at the display. If it's on the front it's awkward to keep looking around the staff to see it, but the rear display makes things easy.

Leica used to also give a pretty comprehensive 'knockdown' warranty that covered all the internals if you dropped the unit, basically you just had to pay for any case damage.

I have had a Rugy LR model for approx 5 years now and it's been used in all weather conditions with no issues and the 'LR' is a long range unit (approx 300metres) that gives incredible accuracy at short range.

I needed the extra range for use on machines and it has a simple slope facility which is brilliant for drainage applications.

If you want to do slopes get advice from Leica or Topcon plus a demo of the units, staggering what can be done and pretty simple if explained well.

Eddie.

I forgot to add, just ensure that whatever model you buy has the facility to take standard batteries.

The Leica Rugby uses a rechargeable system, but you can simply get a additional pack that takes standard batteries as an extra and slip this in if you run out of power.

Some other makes just have a recharge facility and you will be guaranteed it will run out in the middle of site without any means of recharging the unit, leaving you stranded.

There's even an argument to use standard batteries in the first place for this reason, and the worst case is a trip to the shop/petrol station to get going again.

Eddie.

Spooky!

I have just been looking at these also. Very handy time saving accurate piece of kit. I actually got a shot of a building firms topcon for setting up levels for a new shed on saturday. Very simple to use.

Down side i guess is a big outlay and requires a re-cal once a year which i think would be around £50 - £100 and yet to find some where local to ABZ but i'm sure there would be someone. If it was out it would be better not having one.

I guess it depends on how much you'd use it. I haven't looked but there muss be someone that hires them out? GPH maybe??

Cheers

Fonzy.