New Member & Alaskan saw questions

Big Beech

Welcome Big Beech,

I have just set up a similar bar and mount and mill that you want , and i love it !! ..I am sure you will too. and I have found the guys on here a wealth of info.

I am mainly doing Oak , Chestnut and Walnut out here , everyone wants there Pine trees turned into planks , but the wood just splits after only a few months due to the speed of growth out here, even the oak is bad at times. I tend to only go for the giants now ;-)

cheers

steve

Portugal

Edited by ecodao
sp

• 4 weeks later...

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Great that you're enjoying the work. I've been milling up seasoned Oak in the local nature reserve for the past summer - 12 years on the ground and tough as old boots dropped in wet concrete...

I run a Stihl 088 with 47" bar and filing is....fun.... :/ We're using an ms880 with a 36" bar and mill in the reserve as well. One thing I will suggest if you're looking for bars is to get the largest mill you can afford as anything over the 36" mill comes with an extra bracket which, conveniently, you can rig up at,say 25" inches, thus using your rails on smaller logs without running the chain through several more miles. Just remove the upright post and U-bolts and slot in closer to the powerhead. Rob also does upgrade rails to lengthen your mill though so no biggy if you underbuy size.

Penny for your thoughts....and hello. Just joined :)

• 4 weeks later...

Afternoon all.

Been reading through this thread and have decided that the Alaskan Mill should be purchased. By all accounts Rob D is the man for them, so will make contact with him and take it from there :thumbup: