Fastrac compared to unimog

gemtrees

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I think it's fairly obvious that if at tractor will do 50k, then people will make full use of that capability.

In my own instance, the places you will actually get up to speed loaded will not be a great percentage. The uphills soon put a stop to any of that, and the downhills command great respect even with a really good setup.

However empty trailer or just the tractor on it's own and it's just much better to be able to keep the pace up a little more.

My concerns would be more aimed at the straightforward lack of any enforcement for the massive Tractor combinations that are hurled around the lanes, usually by young inexperienced drivers.

If anyone took notice of the weight regs where would all these contractors be?

I've seen some classics that deserve to have the book thrown at them but they just keep getting away with it.

Plenty around here moving 20tonne excavators on tri axle low loaders with Tractors and one guy even towed a 20tonne Joskin dump trailer behind the low loader so he could use it when he got to site!!!

Hard to quantify but I'd guess at approx 45 tonne plus all up?

The days of a 100-120hp 30k tractor (considered massive back then) and a 10 tonne trailer being driven by some casuals at harvest time are long gone and the whole Tractor/Weight/Braking/Age/Licensing needs a complete review.

The fact that the LGV regulations have gone completely over the top is one contributory factor in all this?

Many would be simply much better of with a Truck that is much better suited to haulage tasks, but the complete minefield for someone starting out or even just trying to comply is beyond belief.

It's a serious issue that holds back many business from expanding, even the jump from 3.5 tonne to the 7.5 tonne truck so many people would be better off or even safer running is much harder than it ever needs to be.

Back to the Fastrac, there's also another point to factor and that's all Vosa and Customs seem pre programmed to stop a Fastrac whilst ignoring almost all other tractors?

Eddie.

Discuss the legalities of this then

Damned good effort legal or not!!

Thread derail! Did anyone ask for an arguement about tractor speed limits? No, it was fastrac vs unimog!

Unimogs are far better, I think the problem you have is your mog is too small.

Get yourself a 200hp U1600 and the you'll be sorted :001_smile:

An interesting side note to the 20mph speed limit for ordinary tractors, is that thats the reason they cannot go on the motorway.

As there is legislation that states in order for a vehicle to go on the motorway they need to be, a) Road worthy, i.e. lights, mudguards, brakes, etc, b) More than 50cc c) capable of doing at least 25mph, on the flat under its own power.

An ordinary tractor cannot "legally" comply with the speed requirement, so cannot go on the motorway.

People will say its not because of that its down to red diesel or vehicle conformity certificate (or some such thing) but there are other vehicles on the motorway such as mobile cranes, that don't meet these other requirements.

Edited by skyhuck

LGP Eddie Er yes thats some interesting loading :) far play to the guy for getting them both on !

Sorry for the derail ! im no saint spent many hours over the spead limit in tractors was just pointing out the fact of the speed etc !

I was talking to a contractor the other day who had hired out a trailer 18tonner i believe whuich the operator had an accident at speed which cause a very high amount of damage to an ancient wall or bridge which is going to cost in ther region of £250,000 to put right !

Vosa took the trailer away and inspected and trested it fully brakes suspension tyres etc but never bothered to look at the tractor !

This is the issue where they have not got into being consistant with there approach to it all :(