Fastrac compared to unimog

gemtrees

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

We have a 3155 fastback. Uses less diesel per day hauling straw than the same hp tractor (155) .. Think that's cos it's never running flat out so to speak... Half throttle for 30mph which s ample with load straw or grain on back whereas tractor is Revin it's nut off to do 27mph...

Would say its lot cheaper to run than a mob..

Other than a new air con pump and a hydraulic valve that's all we done in 3 yrs and nearly 4000 hrs..

Bit under powered compared to a 3185

having opperated a fastrac in the tree surgery and forestry industry and now owning a mog i would definately say that the fastrac needs to stay on the edge of the woodland in the field with a silage trailer behind it , i certainly would not be buying a fastrac and run it round at 30mph to ensure it uses less fuel. with the ammount of hils down here it would be working its guts out to do 30mph up hill on a good day !!!!

having opperated a fastrac in the tree surgery and forestry industry and now owning a mog i would definately say that the fastrac needs to stay on the edge of the woodland in the field with a silage trailer behind it , i certainly would not be buying a fastrac and run it round at 30mph to ensure it uses less fuel. with the ammount of hils down here it would be working its guts out to do 30mph up hill on a good day !!!!

Didn't say we only run it at 30 mph to save fuel...

You tried towing a 33 ft flat with big Hesstons stacked 3 high on a twin axle draw bar trailer. Any faster you'll have the lot over..

Y

Nick that may be the case with Bales but thats farming right ? the comment was made because the guy asking opinions works in arb and forestry , a have driven a fastrac fully loaded with timber from mine-head down to the other side of exeter with approximately 12 tons of timber behind it and it was pretty poor to say the least , i was fortunate to get anything more then 30mph out of it on the flat and even then it drank fuel .

I'd go 50k tractor, that's what I'm looking at and having spent time trying out Valtra's recently I'd say well worth a look as I can't afford a Fendt:biggrin:

Eddie.

Hmm is it here where we mention the legality of running a standard ag tractor at a speed above 20mph on the road in this country ?

even if it does have Air brakes ABS and front axle suspention is still only Legaly alowwed to do 20mph or 30k !

Nick yes Bale trailers mucho fun even moresoo if there loose Round bales ! :) or a full load of conventionals they have a mind of there own ! :)

Hmm is it here where we mention the legality of running a standard ag tractor at a speed above 20mph on the road in this country ?

even if it does have Air brakes ABS and front axle suspention is still only Legaly alowwed to do 20mph or 30k !

Nick yes Bale trailers mucho fun even moresoo if there loose Round bales ! :) or a full load of conventionals they have a mind of there own ! :)

No thats not true, 20mph is only for none air brakes and no suspension, on suspension and air brakes, you can exceed 20mph.

Edited by skyhuck

No thats not true, 20mph is only for oil brakes and no suspension, on suspension and air brakes, you can exceed 29mph.

Please read my post again.

Only on FULL 4 wheel or all axle suspension as in Unimog or Fastrac as far as i remember from working on the old firm and when im on better computer ill look up the construction and use regs it still stands that a standard type tractor even when fitted with Front axle suspension and air brakes and abs and most modern tractors of this type still use oil immersed inboard brakes ! are limited to 20mph

The fact that a road they are allowed to run at higher speeds and that the manufactures are able to supply them in this country still doesn't mean that "legally " you can drive faster than 20mph

im not saying its not done and i used to drive a 40k deere when they first came out and a fully caged MF390 also 40k and i never stuck to 30k !

also anything you tow be it a trailer or other wheeled implement must also comply with the regs re hi speed axles and brakes and suspension !

Quote from here will find more when on proper internet connection Tractors on the road: don't ignore the road rules - 04/02/2012 - Farmers Weekly

. Exceeding the speed limit

Most tractors on the market now have a 40kph or 50kph top speed, somewhat more than the 32kph (20mph) legal limit for most tractors on public roads. A small number of tractors such as the JCB Fastrac and Mercedes Unimog have the braking, suspension and other special requirements to qualify for the "fast" tractor classification with its 64kph (40mph) speed limit.

Edited by twistedhicap

Please read my post again.

Only on FULL 4 wheel or all axle suspension as in Unimog or Fastrac as far as i remember from working on the old firm and when im on better computer ill look up the construction and use regs it still stands that a standard type tractor even when fitted with Front axle suspension and air brakes and abs and most modern tractors of this type still use oil immersed inboard brakes ! are limited to 20mph

The fact that a road they are allowed to run at higher speeds and that the manufactures are able to supply them in this country still doesn't mean that "legally " you can drive faster than 20mph

im not saying its not done and i used to drive a 40k deere when they first came out and a fully caged MF390 also 40k and i never stuck to 30k !

also anything you tow be it a trailer or other wheeled implement must also comply with the regs re hi speed axles and brakes and suspension !

Quote from here will find more when on proper internet connection Tractors on the road: don't ignore the road rules - 04/02/2012 - Farmers Weekly

You are correct, sorry I thought you were saying that mogs and fastracks could not exceed 20mph :001_smile: