SRT rope anchoring

Steve Bullman

only jst seen this thread, all of this talk of locking off gri gri's etc. If you feel like splashing out the petzl ID (or ID'S' for smaller diamiter ropes) is what we use and is what treevolution allmost certainly showed the previous post'ee. It is desiged un-like the gri gri to be failsafe and has a handy stop feature which prevents 'captin panic' from absailing/lowering some1 faster and faster

I just have this mental image now of a climber being attacked by bees, then sent smashing to the ground by captain panic, man that would be a double calamity.

Panic decent is rare, from what little I know it usually occurs in say caving when your lowering yourself down i'e you start going to quickly then the panic instinct kicks in which makes you grip tighter and fall faster.

The grigri is not ideal as a self descent device, I use and Eddy (similar to an i'd) which has a panic feature and is designed as a solo descender.

I use the grigri which is a belay device as an anchor so someone else can belay me, importantly i trust the people i work with to lower me gently.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i've come acsross it quite a few times in arb the best example & advocate of anti panic devices is now out of his spinal brace & recovered his driving licence. The ID gre gre is ment as a belay device and is not designed to support/hold a load un-assisted & will often slip if you hang on it, thats my oversion to it being used in this way & the anti panic lever is just a bonus really, where u based mark?

i've come acsross it quite a few times in arb the best example & advocate of anti panic devices is now out of his spinal brace & recovered his driving licence. The ID gre gre is ment as a belay device and is not designed to support/hold a load un-assisted & will often slip if you hang on it, thats my oversion to it being used in this way & the anti panic lever is just a bonus really, where u based mark?

We all need to know about the limitations of the kit we use and how to avoid such nasty accidents, i'm not 100% sure if i'm using or setting up my equipment properly, I just try to keep myself educated and thoughtfull of all the negatives and pitfalls of any equipment i use or how i go about setting it up, in the hope of avoiding such accidents.

I'm based in Oxford, and mainly work for Heritage

• 3 weeks later...
there's no need for the belay device at the base of the tree as I wont ever need rescued while SRTing, what situation would you need rescued whilst SRTing anyway?

You could be attacked by Hornets, Bees or Wasps (Racoons in USA!!) that are living in the canopy and were not visable from ground level. You could get severe cramp and not be able to move, you could pass out from the heat in summer or if suffering from any pre-medical conditions (Asthma, Diabetic, etc.) You could dislodge a hanger that was not visable from the ground and it could fall and injure you before you reach the canopy!

You never know when you might need to get down in an emergency!

• 2 years later...

Bump

Been a couple of years since this thread was started and things have moved on

So how does everyone anchor there srt line?

I just tie off at the base of the tree,then can lower srt gear down out of the tree if its not in the way while im working.

If it is a simple straightt up and then tie in. I figure eight and biner around base of the tree.

If I want to stop and work on the way up I tie off onto the porta wrap so I can be lowered if necessary.

Last week I had a large black walnut and small black walnut just inside the larger ones drip line so attached biner and rescue pulley to the end of the line and thread climb line thru the pulley with with lLock jack and next to the pulley attached a single line and pulled the whole lot up to tip.

So I had the srt for rope walks and the pulley and drt, all with one tie in. Best of both worlds. After pruning the small Juglans on the Lj I went back to srt and up into the large walnut.

After pruning I descended srt for the long drop on a rack. So as not to wear my Lj. Plus the rack is faster smoother and easier on the rope. Love a good rack.:thumbup:

Worked really well for me in this situation.