Botex 570 onto N series Valtra Thoughts?

LGP Eddie

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm having the same N vs T debate with myself right now, did you get one Eddie? if so which one and what did you think of it?

Cheers

Couldn't have been more timely as I was sat with the Dealer yesterday afternoon and have literally just opened my e mail quote this morning.

I had a little lie down after!:biggrin:

The main thing I can say is I can't believe how far off what was my original proposed spec for a unit I have ended up, having now hired several units on fairly long term hires for different projects.

My initial thought was N163 in Direct form for the CVT gearbox, which would give me plenty of go in a short manoeuvrable package, and look to top it off with a Botex 570.

However we live in an area blessed with many steep hills, and whilst the Direct transmission is absolutely fantastic in the field/woods, show it a hill whilst transporting and it's incredible how much the losses can be?

Absolutely now way I could consider it over the Versu version which was brilliant.

Having had a few T series on hire and let everyone who I would consider to have an informed opinion use it, the conclusion really was it's pretty amazing how manoeuvrable they are (this is from die hard John Deere men) and what levels of traction/lugging power they have.

The usual 'big nose' comment came out from virtually everyone, but was soon forgotten and the general verdict was one of surprise just what a package they are.

The 'T' is a really stable platform for a crane base, and despite what your mind tells you whilst standing outside, they aren't a big clumsy lump once put to work.

I am looking at a T183 or 213 in Versu form and would look to fit a Botex 580 onto it.

I won't get into the crane debate as there are so many different options and Botex if cost were no issue was not my first choice. But having tried the new electric joystick controls and considered the value for money it's a really hard package to beat?

So for my applications which will involve a lot of transport work and heavy pto use, the T is 100% the one for me.

Interestingly the best tractor we have yet tried by some margin was a high houred T151 that was unashamedly chipped up to some serious hp with no ill effects.

This thing pulled like a train and was remarkable on fuel too, proving that there's plenty of life in them if looked after.

Absolutely nothing wrong with the N series, but I've always preferred 6 cylinders where possible and the N163 simply wouldn't have the hp I require.

My best advice is Hire first and try all the different options, my Dealer couldn't have been more helpful with good hire rates, demo's of new machines, setting up attachments etc, so I have had full opportunity to use them in real world conditions.

Longer term this should hopefully ensure I purchase something I'm not looking to move on 3 months down the line as it isn't right for me.

Eddie.

Thanks for the detailed reply, I had thought T series and then this week we were working on an LA job on some allotments and space was tight, the 6400 was great and all I really wanted was a little more reach on the crane. This tight spot made me think I wouldn't want a bigger tractor in here, but maybe I could have got a 6cylinder in….

Are you putting a big chipper on it?

Thanks for the detailed reply, I had thought T series and then this week we were working on an LA job on some allotments and space was tight, the 6400 was great and all I really wanted was a little more reach on the crane. This tight spot made me think I wouldn't want a bigger tractor in here, but maybe I could have got a 6cylinder in….

Are you putting a big chipper on it?

Crane reach is a big factor for me too, and at this point I'll simply use my Farmi 260 with conveyor on it which should provide a reasonable setup?

I really just want to future proof it for Chipper/Mulcher/Stone Crusher use in terms of hp, so a T183 would be fine as it could be chipped if necessary.

Eddie.

Spoke to John Wilson this morning and I am now leaning away from the 580 as the extension lacks power compared with my current 560, so dragging a big log towards the machine with the extension is not really possible apparently, it is with the 560/70.. so now its a question of wether I want the reach and fast handling for brash and feeding the chipper or power for the timber… I am leaning towards the N series however tractor wise.

Couldn't have been more timely as I was sat with the Dealer yesterday afternoon and have literally just opened my e mail quote this morning.

I had a little lie down after!:biggrin:

The main thing I can say is I can't believe how far off what was my original proposed spec for a unit I have ended up, having now hired several units on fairly long term hires for different projects.

My initial thought was N163 in Direct form for the CVT gearbox, which would give me plenty of go in a short manoeuvrable package, and look to top it off with a Botex 570.

However we live in an area blessed with many steep hills, and whilst the Direct transmission is absolutely fantastic in the field/woods, show it a hill whilst transporting and it's incredible how much the losses can be?

Absolutely now way I could consider it over the Versu version which was brilliant.

Having had a few T series on hire and let everyone who I would consider to have an informed opinion use it, the conclusion really was it's pretty amazing how manoeuvrable they are (this is from die hard John Deere men) and what levels of traction/lugging power they have.

The usual 'big nose' comment came out from virtually everyone, but was soon forgotten and the general verdict was one of surprise just what a package they are.

The 'T' is a really stable platform for a crane base, and despite what your mind tells you whilst standing outside, they aren't a big clumsy lump once put to work.

I am looking at a T183 or 213 in Versu form and would look to fit a Botex 580 onto it.

I won't get into the crane debate as there are so many different options and Botex if cost were no issue was not my first choice. But having tried the new electric joystick controls and considered the value for money it's a really hard package to beat?

So for my applications which will involve a lot of transport work and heavy pto use, the T is 100% the one for me.

Interestingly the best tractor we have yet tried by some margin was a high houred T151 that was unashamedly chipped up to some serious hp with no ill effects.

This thing pulled like a train and was remarkable on fuel too, proving that there's plenty of life in them if looked after.

Absolutely nothing wrong with the N series, but I've always preferred 6 cylinders where possible and the N163 simply wouldn't have the hp I require.

My best advice is Hire first and try all the different options, my Dealer couldn't have been more helpful with good hire rates, demo's of new machines, setting up attachments etc, so I have had full opportunity to use them in real world conditions.

Longer term this should hopefully ensure I purchase something I'm not looking to move on 3 months down the line as it isn't right for me.

Eddie.

Eddie, get Botex out of your head mate! You do quality...

My Forestery crane had a huge reach and the pull in power with the dipper extension was awesome!

Pulled some 100ft Douglas, 3 feet wide out a field 1 day.

You can still lift big, the lifting ram on the main boom will hold the weight but not lift it, so you set it high and let the extension and dipper do all the work!

Reach over lift for me if it came down to it unless you were selling the timber and if you were doing that seriously you would need a monster skidder and Hiab lorry.

Spoke to John Wilson this morning and I am now leaning away from the 580 as the extension lacks power compared with my current 560, so dragging a big log towards the machine with the extension is not really possible apparently, it is with the 560/70.. so now its a question of wether I want the reach and fast handling for brash and feeding the chipper or power for the timber… I am leaning towards the N series however tractor wise.

Reach. you can't use the full 2.8 tonne lift on a roof mount anyway well unless you have a very heavy tractor and nerves of steel. Reach on the roof load on lifting power on the trailer.

The 570 is a good compromise between lift & reach. The only downside is the long extension cylinder. It's very very easy to knock off the hydraulic pipe that runs down the length of the cylinder. Also the welds that hold that pipe in place pop easily and then the pipe bends:thumbdown:

I have dead lifted some massive lumps with the 560, and wrestled on some even bigger stuff. The issue with the 580 is the lack of pulling power in terms of dragging stuff close enough to lift. Other makes of crane may be way better in the woods bit they lack dead lifting power. Dead lifting power is important in arb work because you don't want to skid stuff if you can help it and you often need to lift over obstacles like fences or walls. I will probably end up with the 570, but 8m reach would have been nice.