Botex 570 onto N series Valtra Thoughts?

LGP Eddie

I posted a few pics of the N series 101 Valtra I've had on hire for a little while now and to be perfectly honest have been really impressed with.

My thoughts are turning towards a possible purchase with the idea of having fitted a full Botex 570 roof mount setup complete with guarding from Wilsons.

I just basically wondered anyones thoughts on mounting a 570 to an 'N' series, as I'd probably prefer reach over maximum power, but I'm all too aware that I'll have to consider ballasted tyres, wheel weights etc.

Would a 'T' series just be a much better starting point, but I'm obviously attracted to the compact dimensions and manoeuvrability of the 'N' models.

I have a unit in mind being a fairly basic spec N111e, that I have tried out and was actually pretty stunned by it's lugging power.

It will obviously be used for some haulage work, but will see plenty of site use (I hope) plus will match up to feed my Farmi 260 chipper.

I'm not looking to re-invent the wheel, just try to get a very good all round compromise setup that will hopefully be very versatile.

Any thoughts on best controls/pump/mounting/guards/weights etc much appreciated.

Eddie.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I really think it was the new N series 123 posted under 'New Toy' on here that demonstrated that I certainly haven't the funds to have it all, but I could hopefully get myself somewhere towards such an all round versatile bit of kit that retained a good amount of simplicity for ease of use and maintenance.

I think Wilsons have more than proved themselves with the Botex Roofmount, and I'm certain the Low Tech Forestry Refurb Valtra is going to be a winner for them.

It certainly makes so much sense as there is a massive supply of suitable Valtra base units out there for them to choose from, with a good supply of people wanting to keep as far away from main agent prices for fitters as possible.

In my own instance, I really need to retain as much of the base tractors ability hence not looking at a 'Jake' mounting, but being used to some nice controls in my 360's would prefer to have controls with all functions on 2 levers.

Again a PTO pump would be out for me, but I assume they offer a higher capacity front pump/tank to speed operation?

All questions for Wilsons I know,but good to find out what actually works from people at the sharp end who've parted with their hard earned.

Eddie.

Hi Eddie ,

I have a valtra T series with a 560 roof mounted crane. Loads of power and great handling. I would go for a T series rather than a N. This is the second valtra Iv had from wilsons and I told him the hours and spec I wanted for the tractor and he came back quickly with 2 machines that he had found. I bought a brand new botex 8t trailer to go with it and I can't speak highly enough about the job it does.

Regards

Scott

Not qualified to comment on the forestry specific kit but regarding the tractor itself, if it's stability you're concerned with the T won't have a great deal over the N where it counts, which is to the side... they're broadly the same width and while the T is undoubtedly heavier, as you say, you can ballast it up.

With regards pumping, presumably the same capacity pump can be fitted to a front PTO as the rear, as Garth says, a front PTO off the crank will give you bags of power.

Plus you gain on manoevrability and save yourself a few quid.... sounds like win/win to me.....

I have owned an 8950 with big Forestery crane on it, full reverse drive, 50k box, electro hydraulic controls, on paper the perfect set up. Practically top heavy, a lot of electronics to go wrong and to big imo for practical Forestery and agricultural work, great for sitting feeding chippers and loading a trailer on the flat.

I currently have an older 8100, jake plate small Patu crane with 2 lever twisty stick controls. It's great, very quick and comfy,myou don't know the cranes on when not in use, no need for ballast or weights and very manoeuvrable . The crane in the middle does reduce visibility directly behind the cab, but after a few days you don't even realise it, moving your head 2 inches to the side sorts this.

Visibility for arms and hitch are not obscured at all.

All interesting points regarding the Valtra 'N' versus the 'T' and also the Jake mounting of what would be considered a more Forestry based crane?

It's simply very hard to ignore the fact that the Botex whilst not perfect in every application I'm certain, is a proven package at a realistic price that will handle the variety of tasks I'll require from it plus give a very good lift capacity.

However I've always thought the Jake mounting to be a superbly engineered bit of kit and when you begin to look at that lovely Kronos front pump/tank unit the thought of an 'N' series with Jake Mounting and perhaps a Kronos 5000 crane with front pump/tank unit would be a pretty trick setup but at what cost?

I'm well used to having Excavator booms or even a Backhoe rear actor in my line of sight and fully agree it's something you just get used to.

Many hours in a Rubber Duck have tought me just how valuable locking axles are and wonder if anyone has gone down this route with the Jake front axle lock system?

I'd like to keep the amount of added ballast to a minimum as we're often on wetland sites, so perhaps the axle lock would bring a fair stability gain thus reducing the amount of weight to be added?

I did assume the Jake mounting to be too restrictive for normal linkage operations, but I've found a picture on their site of the actual Farmi 260 I have on the linkage along with a strange Farmi crane setup?

I'd have assumed it must stow up front somehow?

Eddie.

1286992036654_1_orig.jpg.4a730d87e12b712c2e986abd2590ae2d.jpg