Sad...

sloth

I've seen these trees in the flesh.

In 2009 I cycled across Australia and spent 90days under canvas.

I visited the birth place of Albert at Hermansburg up in the MacDonnall ranges. Albert is also a national icon appearing on banknotes.

There are white Australians who still detest Aboriginal culture although the Aboriginal culture of Alice Springs is visible to the tourist in the form of the sprawling drunk and unemployed. It is easy to see just why some-one would do this, there is enough hate simmering under the surface against the Aboriginals.

What struck me about Australians in the Northern Territory though was sheer number of hard drinking racist rednecks.

Just having small talk with people in a bar would invariably invite derogatory comments from some-one about Poms or Abo's or queers even!

I was cycling at one point with a Chinese guy.

I had walked into a roadhouse 100kms from everywhere, hot and sweaty, a fat bearded bike type serving behing the bar bellowed "#uck off, you've brought flies in with you and we don't serve queers and take your boyfriend with you, damn Chinks" A reference to our lycra shorts perhaps...?

Expelled from the road house we cycled a few days together to Alice.

Anyway, what is clear to me is that Julia Gillard really has her work cut out battling Red Necks in her own Parliament, fellow MP's with outdated chauvanistic values and haters of Aboriginal culture.

In short, there is enough hate out there to burn a few iconic gums, it could even be Aboriginals angry that Albert is not of their tribe...

Ty

I visited the birth place of Albert at Hermansburg up in the MacDonnall ranges. Albert is also a national icon appearing on banknotes.

There are white Australians who still detest Aboriginal culture although the Aboriginal culture of Alice Springs is visible to the tourist in the form of the sprawling drunk and unemployed. It is easy to see just why some-one would do this, there is enough hate simmering under the surface against the Aboriginals.

What struck me about Australians in the Northern Territory though was sheer number of hard drinking racist rednecks.

Just having small talk with people in a bar would invariably invite derogatory comments from some-one about Poms or Abo's or queers even!

I had walked into a roadhouse 100kms from everywhere, hot and sweaty, a fat bearded bike type serving behing the bar bellowed "#uck off, you've brought flies in with you and we don't serve queers and take your boyfriend with you, damn Chinks" A reference to our lycra shorts perhaps...?

Anyway, what is clear to me is that Julia Gillard really has her work cut out battling Red Necks in her own Parliament, fellow MP's with outdated chauvanistic values and haters of Aboriginal culture.

In short, there is enough hate out there to burn a few iconic gums, it could even be Aboriginals angry that Albert is not of their tribe...

Ty

You got off light to! Makes the Southern states look cultured in many parts of Aus.

Ty

mate its the australian way to take the piss out of just about anyone who walks into a bar in the middle of nowhere.plus wearing lycra would have been a sight to behold

regarding the fire.it is the hot season here at the moment and there are fires bloody everywhere.Mostly man made.Not all lit by indigenous persons.one of the more devastating fires recently was set by an off duty fireman(caucasian)

Part of the aboriginal culture was to burnoff the bush as it made hunting animals easier and promoted new growth of plants,re juvinate the bush etc

whilst most aborigines dont hunt anymore like they used to they still like to set fire to the bush.

while i dont live in alice and havent been there most of the fires we see around here have been lit from the side of the road.from people flicking matches out window

im not going to get into your other issue except to say that if you owned property and lived here for a period of time you soon have a different opinion.

And from what ive heard Alice is far worse

What issue? I have no issues?

What I did observe is that more dangerous than a salt water crocodile is a drunk white Australian male and that Aboriginals are a lost and futile race living of a diet of state handouts and V.B tinnies.

Like I said, no issues, just observations from a traveler.

Ty