• SRT for entire job
    • you use SRT because it's easier/less complex
    • never use SRT
    • tried SRT but chose not to use it

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow, Ewan! Your posts of 8 and 9 will be a great help for those that are looking for answers.

I use SRWP for everything. Big trees or little, excurrent or decurrent it makes no difference. I do this not because it is the new or cool way, in fact I hated the thought of the whole change/relearning process. I could do anything that needed to be done in or with a tree using DdRT. So you might ask, why did I switch systems?

It is easier. For the same reasons that you grab and use a ladder. When it is time to go up, you use your legs. Not in every movement up but in enough that the work load on your arms is significantly reduced.

Climbing trees and doing the work we do will always be physically demanding but the new generation of SRWP tools that are now available will enable a climber, once they understand fully what the system is capable of, to climb and work for as many years as they choose.

There are lots of old guys climbing mountains, very few gymnasts over the age of 30.

Dave

Wow, Ewan! Your posts of 8 and 9 will be a great help for those that are looking for answers.

I use SRWP for everything. Big trees or little, excurrent or decurrent it makes no difference. I do this not because it is the new or cool way, in fact I hated the thought of the whole change/relearning process. I could do anything that needed to be done in or with a tree using DdRT. So you might ask, why did I switch systems?

It is easier. For the same reasons that you grab and use a ladder. When it is time to go up, you use your legs. Not in every movement up but in enough that the work load on your arms is significantly reduced.

Climbing trees and doing the work we do will always be physically demanding but the new generation of SRWP tools that are now available will enable a climber, once they understand fully what the system is capable of, to climb and work for as many years as they choose.

There are lots of old guys climbing mountains, very few gymnasts over the age of 30.

Dave

Haha, the second half of that sounds like you wrote it about me!:laugh1:

I did a bit of work on a small Yew tree today and thought it would be easier to use DdRT.

I completed 50% of the job then switched to SRTWP, I was using my Hitch Hiker so it took 30 seconds to switch.

It was a surprise and a relief to discover how much easier it was.

I can only surmise that my previous small tree DdRT jobs on the RW and HH were easier because I was still finding my way with Single Rope.

Having climbed with a Lockjack for so many years I never expected to become an SRT god overnight but I'm so glad I persevered.

This is just my opinion and what works best for me, before anyone starts arguing.:001_smile: