firewood and ibc questions...

swinny

I do this size in the oregon sawhorse. I can cut wood in August and have it down to less than 25% moisture by January. I am on the east coast and its always breezy though.

If you cut to 6-8 inch perfect for granny logs. For me a requested product and alot easier to make as no axe work.

I do this size in the oregon sawhorse. I can cut wood in August and have it down to less than 25% moisture by January. I am on the east coast and its always breezy though.

If you cut to 6-8 inch perfect for granny logs. For me a requested product and alot easier to make as no axe work.

true. was just going to throw it in with everything else...

Hi swinny

A while back I unloaded an IBC of wet beech and weighed them on some old but I believe accurate sheep scales. It weighed only 425kg and I would sell an IBCs worth as 1.1 m3 but no more. I don't think you should have any problems drying 3" round logs this way as our round beech is pretty much dry in six months in the crates.

Edited by Woodworks

Most of my firewood is now about 3-4". I coppice it and cut in 4 foot lengths and stack in the open with no cover. Left out for a year and then logged on the horse it's dry enough. I usually log them into the shed and burn within the month and they make a great fire. Usually Alder, Ash and Hazel around here with some Syc and Oak.

I now use anything down to about 1" for firewood. On the sawhorse you can cut 10 or so at a time and pack them in the stove. One day I will get a chipper and the small stuff will be for the chicken runs and woodland paths.

had several people round here saying they dont bother with branches less than 6inch diameter! I quiet happy to log down to 3inchs.

Was talking to one chap who said this and pointed out you dont have to split it , instant logs he now cuts down to 3inch diameter also.

it as if they think it wont burn or burn to quick , i dunno.

had several people round here saying they dont bother with branches less than 6inch diameter! I quiet happy to log down to 3inchs.

Was talking to one chap who said this and pointed out you dont have to split it , instant logs he now cuts down to 3inch diameter also.

it as if they think it wont burn or burn to quick , i dunno.

HI STOXS dads the same here 6ins down dad has it for his 3 open fires nice jon :thumbup:

HI STOXS dads the same here 6ins down dad has it for his 3 open fires nice jon :thumbup:

fill the woodburner with 3inch logs about 10/15 of them and it will burn for ages, good to fill the gaps with big logs to. As you say cracking on the open fire.