Why is work so hard to find?

chipper080

Just to give you a view from the other side of the coin as such... when I had a tree firm I often had people ringing up and looking for work... to start with I'd give them a go but by and large I'd say they only did a day or two before leaving or being asked to leave.

So after a few years of that I never gave anyone a go that rang looking for work.....

Now I'm not saying that is fair or unfair but speaking to other firms unfortunately that's what you're up against. You have to remember that everyone out there looking for work has the opinion that they are a hard and honest worker... my experiences over the years has said otherwise in most (80% to 90%) of cases.

It's very hard to get your foot in the door - and if I'm being brutally honest these x3 comments here would put me off giving you a go:

"don't be a talker be a do'er i have been trying to do thing's all my life but something all ways stops me."

"i have not got licence it could be the goverment for screwing the country up even more could be a number of things all i ask for is a break and a chance."

Because in the above you are blaming other things for your own circumstances.

"What else can i say just if i could find some work i could take pics and make video and post on here to show every one that i am capable of doing the work."

For the above it's a great idea - why not work for your gran, for a neighbor or anyone else - there's nothing stopping you making a video and promoting yourself - it doesn't have to be with big noisy chippers and a big takedown going on in the background..... it will give you a 300% increased chance of finding work.

:001_smile:

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've just done a search of companies on your doorstep, not exactly heaving, but there is a tree company in your area, a fencing company, and a couple of gardening companies. I don't know how big or how busy they are, but they are out there.

Many of us on here have been through tough times of one sort or another, we know exactly where you are coming from. Nothing gets handed out on a plate to any of us. Even when you think everything is going well, something chucks a spanner in the works and things can and do go wrong. When things get tough, all we can do is get tougher and deal with it

i could take a pic of a log splitter i made it's no the best looking thing but affective just the same but people could say that someone else done it what i might do is make a video of me using my chainsaw and post here and still put pic of the splitter up as well.

I will call an old friend in morning for some wood to cut up for the video.

i could take a pic of a log splitter i made it's no the best looking thing but affective just the same but people could say that someone else done it what i might do is make a video of me using my chainsaw and post here and still put pic of the splitter up as well.

I will call an old friend in morning for some wood to cut up for the video.

That's more like it! Take a bit of time making it ie. a few days with you doing different tasks, once made get some opinions before putting it on here to make sure it shows you in best light. A grainy 30 second clip with a chainsaw running will not do you any favours.

Doesn't have to be tree related but wheel barrowing, digging, just something to show you work hard, friendly etc etc.. Introduce yourself, how you got into this line of work, what you like, everything you can think of to promote yourself and make someone think 'he's worth giving a go'.

I hate sitting around doing nothing i like doing something but sometimes you have to sit at home to make calls and fill in forms.

if i had my way i would not be on here but in a wood working but with out sitting here to make calls i will not be able to go forward only backward.

And there is something the other guy's have probably got that i haven't and that is their own transport i know the work is out there it is just getting it and to it.

I feel its easy for people who have the work to say its easy to find but when you are trying to get off the ground and into the trade it takes time.

i set up my business 6 years ago after returning from working in australia for nearly 2 years, it was a struggle to start with as people didnt know who i was and what i did. Work had no continuity and it was a guessing game what would happen but whenever i completed a job i used the money to pay for a course or some equipment and eventually i got more regular work from various sources and got known as a hard worker which then led to more work.

I wasnt too proud to do other work whilst trying to acheive building my business, i have spent countless hours day and night tractor driving or fencing when ultimately i wanted to be working in the woods but if it pays the bills and makes a profit then im happy to do it.

Here here , do the small jobs , buy the tools , do the big jobs pay for the training , I've paid for all my own training CS30 up to CS39 wood chipper , cherry picker , forklift saff pass all done and this year I WILL get a full time job its my gold and I will do it watch this space.:thumbup:

i set up my business 6 years ago after returning from working in australia for nearly 2 years, it was a struggle to start with as people didnt know who i was and what i did. Work had no continuity and it was a guessing game what would happen but whenever i completed a job i used the money to pay for a course or some equipment and eventually i got more regular work from various sources and got known as a hard worker which then led to more work.

I wasnt too proud to do other work whilst trying to acheive building my business, i have spent countless hours day and night tractor driving or fencing when ultimately i wanted to be working in the woods but if it pays the bills and makes a profit then im happy to do it.

It's worth a try i might have got a few jobs like that to do here at home.

might be able to cut some logs from some fallen ash limb there will be racking lifting barrowing that way it's a bit of everything.

what a difference in the way you come accross now, much more positive and thinking of ways to improve not who to blame!!

keep it up

you make your own destiney in life.

As Garth has said you have to anything anytime to keep yourself going i know Garth was working 20+hours a day because the work was there and had to be done. this will buy you time when work gets slack.

good luck