Adding 2 stroke oil to diesel fuel

GardenKit

I have been googling the newish craze of adding 2 stroke oil to your diesel fuel in your car, van etc.

It is widely claimed that adding mineral 2T oil to your diesel at around 200:1 results in more MPG, quieter engine and longer injection equipment life.

Has any member tried this, or have expert knowledge on the subject?

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have been googling the newish craze of adding 2 stroke oil to your diesel fuel in your car, van etc.

It is widely claimed that adding mineral 2T oil to your diesel at around 200:1 results in more MPG, quieter engine and longer injection equipment life.

Has any member tried this, or have expert knowledge on the subject?

I tried this a couple of years ago, xmas 2009 to be precise. Advised by someone it would help quiten noisey injectors on my hilux 2.5, lod of rubbish, i starte to put in wynns injector cleaner every 3000 miles, after second lot through mpg was at least 6to7 mpg better and stayed that way.

If your country doesn't require "ultra low sulfur diesel" ULSD, not sure how much is to gain. That was the main start to it here in the U.S.

In fall and spring our wettest times I add 2 stroke oil and antigel/conditioner. Mainly to help keep the moisture out of the system.

Yes in landrovers ! 200tdi and 300 tdi it acts as lubricant as you well know it makes mine run smoother wit less of the rattles than normal tbh MPG is unknown but not less than would be expected i know several that do it to good effect too !

Since the removal of sulphur in the fuel which used to act as a lubricant and the fact that places like supermarkets additive packages are poor its a usefull tool in the box !

adding a litre or 2 of PPO Pure plant oil such as rapeseed oil has the same effect.

David

I used to have a merc vito and go round collecting waste cooking oil for a company. They used to pay for my fuel and as part of that we would used recycled cooking oil, cleaned to the nth degree (they now process over 1 million litres year). It used to make my vito run quieter and increased mpg by approx 4-5 mpg.

We also have an injector fault which comes up on the computer of the tree harvester and we just put 1 litre of engine oil in the fuel tank and it clears the fault within two mins every time.

Why dont u just get ur engine remapped. Its common settings will run on anything in any conditions. Having it remapped can better the mpg or speed etc whatever you like, speak to a garage that does this, it maybe a hit at first but would be better off in the long run

have you had any problems with your fuel filters blocking ? David?

No but im pretty anal with servicing tbh !

When i worked for the old firm we had a golf converted to run on 100% PPO only once did we have issues with that too ! the right setups or right mixes with good derv its fine ! personally im vary wary of BioDiesel unless its from a known good refiner as its so easy to cock it up or not clean it correctly etc !

Local garage to my old place tried to sell it but after three weeks and several complaints and one dead engine they stopped it !

the issues come with the solvent property's of the oil or Biodiesel to clean the tanks etc this cleaning causes any muck to be dragged into the filters etc !