Can i fell this tree legally??

jimbomags

hi there my first post so not sure if this will make sense. I'm self employed as property/grounds maintenance and been asked by nursing home to cut down a 30ft ash. I have no cs certs but have used chainsaws for 20 years. am i right in thinking its illegal for me to fell the tree without certs. My insurance excludes tree work but i can demolish a 3 storey building. ??????

If i wasnt getting paid for the work but just cutting for firewood is that acceptable..? any opinions please.... should i take it down and take the dollar or pass the job on?

thanks in advance. Jim :confused1:

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Is the tree covered by a preservation order? or is it in the conservation area? Are there any planning conditions on the tree?

I would look into all these first before you start anything!

If you feel more than capable of carrying out this job then go right ahead! If the tree is in a tight spot and needs climbing or can be felled but is risky then in my opinion I work get a local professional to do it! Who is insured who is qualified :thumbup1:

Welcome to the forum

Adam

I'm a bit fussed over this one...

Do you mean fell as in cut at the bottom and fell it over or climb and dismantle it???

If its climb and dismantle it then I would go back to a case before where a gardener was done for dismantling a tree from a ladder and got a huge fine for it.

If its straight cut and fell then no law exists, not until it all goes wrong and some damage is done.

Do you mean fell as in cut at the bottom and fell it over or climb and dismantle it???

If its climb and dismantle it then I would go back to a case before where a gardener was done for dismantling a tree from a ladder and got a huge fine for it.

If its straight cut and fell then no law exists, not until it all goes wrong and some damage is done.

Errrr, No not quite

The same law exists in the case that you cited, its not illegal to fell a tree but the chap in the casese you cited was prossecuted for no PPE and no tickets for him and his man.

Felling from the ground requires tickets therefore a prossecution could be made.

If you weren't being paid for it, but were simply taking the tree down for your own benefit as logs, you could do it under your household contents insurance. This covers pretty much anything you may wish to do with a chainsaw unpaid (and is how I am covered for my own felling/milling for my own use).

Alec

all top growth was removed a few years ago ive been told so its just a straight fell. I've got gear from rec climbing..... seen to many accidents on you tube to use ladders !!!

If you weren't being paid for it, but were simply taking the tree down for your own benefit as logs, you could do it under your household contents insurance. This covers pretty much anything you may wish to do with a chainsaw unpaid (and is how I am covered for my own felling/milling for my own use).

Alec

my household insurance would cover me on somebody else's property ??