Which are the best boots?

Gavin Hodges

Elten are shit. But thats just my opinion, and i'm known to be wrong

Got to agree with you on this one Marc, the Eltens I had fell apart in next to no time, the inners caused blisters from the get-go, the eyelets pulled out almost straight away, and the sole were too soft!!

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i'm on hiax and they've just come up to 12 months, though not constant climbing - the gore tex liners have gone in them - has anyone had better waterproofing time than 12 months? i've had Stihl, Oregon and some god awefull russian looking things that you'd imagine putin strutting round in in his KGB days... lord only knows what they were but non have done 12 months of waterproof.

Work boots take a lot of abuse, lets face it we wear our boots more than any other shoe/boot! Thats why its worth getting something that is comfortable and good quality.

I've tried cheap boots like the SIP's and basic Stihls, but did'nt use them for more than 2 months, as they used to kill the my heels and give me blisters.

Also we all walk differently, I used to get knee pain from over-pronating, getting supafeet inserts helped.

With Meindl the Vibram sole, combined with meindl sole unit give a much better walking action for me.

Obviously we are all biomechanically different!

As for how long the gor-tex lasts, 12 months of daily use is a long time. Mine start to go around the toes about that time, but it varies, my last pair of Meindls the rubber rand came off after 6 months, my new pair have lasted 8 months intact.

Use plenty of wax, I try to liberally wax mine every month, occasionally using liquid nix-wax, this is a pain though as you have to get the leather wet for best results.

Got a pair of klima Airs three months ago, can't fault them for quality and comfort. Shame they cost a weeks wage.:(

Weeks wage? Damn your underpaid...

I have the Klima airs, they are a superb boot, but a little heavy for summer use.

• 2 weeks later...

The problem over here is that we buy one pair of boots to do every kind of job. There for they get worn all day every day, but we still insist that they should last longer.

Where as over in most other european countries they buy different boots for different work i.e Ground work, Climbing, Heavey Forestry and Clearing.

Just like chainsaws. Imagine using your 026 for every job!

The problem over here is that we buy one pair of boots to do every kind of job. There for they get worn all day every day, but we still insist that they should last longer.

Where as over in most other european countries they buy different boots for different work i.e Ground work, Climbing, Heavey Forestry and Clearing.

Just like chainsaws. Imagine using your 026 for every job!

that is true hugo when i look at my hiax the soles are worn away especially on heels dragging crap to the chipper more than any other damage to the rest of boot from climbing but its the old time is money aspect i can just imagine my boss's reply when i say hang on just got to change my boots before helping clearing up the mess i just made ...... its bad enough when i have to walk back to the van to put my hi vis on ( wont wear it when climbing too much of a hazard ) ./.....