City & Guilds (NPTC) New Chainsaw Awards

TKF

City & Guilds (NPTC) have just released the latest issue of their Outlook Magazine.

This issue has information on their new chainsaw awards which are replacing the 'CS' type qualifications. Also information on 'Independent' and 'Integrated Assessment'.

http://www.nptc.org.uk/assets/documents/bc8c7429c1f34392b89f0290a71d6b12.pdf

Outlook Magazine.pdf

No, there's no requirement to re-sit anything you already have.

The new Level 2 & 3 awards were made available by City & Guilds (NPTC) last month and will replace the 'CS' type qualifications. To our knowledge 'CS' type qualifications will remain available until May 2013.

Lantra also have equivalent Level 2 & 3 awards available.

Did my "cs38" a couple of weeks ago and that is no longer a Cs qual, it's now set out into two units. Another thing that's changed is that it is now just pass or fail instead of having a minor/ major faults system meaning you can pass or fail either of the two seperate units

Hope this doesn't mean i have to re-sit anything that i already have?

It shouldn't / won't, however don't overlook the importance of refresher / update training. I would suggest / recommend that wherever possible you achieve this through "skills advancement", which is the most cost effective and beneficial way for professional users, (sorry gonna use the CS refs here) i.e. ground: CS31(small tree felling)>CS32(med/large tree felling)>CS34(single windblow)/35(multiple windblow) and aerial: CS39(chainsaw from rope & harness)>CS41(sectional felling with rigging)>'advanced rigging' course(partic. for CS41s pre-2000).

Speaking with several of the ArbAC assessors who do legal work / accident investigation they all say the HSE/courts seem more interested in "when did any refresher or updating training take place?" rather than what particular NPTC etc. units are held....interstingly enough.

See HSE AFAG 805 'Training and Certification' for further info (copy below).

Cheers all..

Paul

afag805.pdf

It shouldn't / won't, however don't overlook the importance of refresher / update training. I would suggest / recommend that wherever possible you achieve this through "skills advancement", which is the most cost effective and beneficial way for professional users, (sorry gonna use the CS refs here) i.e. ground: CS31(small tree felling)>CS32(med/large tree felling)>CS34(single windblow)/35(multiple windblow) and aerial: CS39(chainsaw from rope & harness)>CS41(sectional felling with rigging)>'advanced rigging' course(partic. for CS41s pre-2000).

Speaking with several of the ArbAC assessors who do legal work / accident investigation they all say the HSE/courts seem more interested in "when did any refresher or updating training take place?" rather than what particular NPTC etc. units are held....interstingly enough.

Cheers all..

Paul

This whole thing is ticking boxes. You are going to get hurt if you cut yourself regardless of refresher courses.I came over from NZ 5 yrs ago to the UK and found the nptc thing farcical,not that it's any better at home. You pretty much can't fail these courses unless your a idiot.Majority of the people that ive been on with my courses with should have never passed!.I just can't respect a system that provides passes for these people. Sorry it's not a attack at you just annoys me.

Cheers all..

Paul

Not sure what you are saying here. Do you mean that if you progress through the CS units over time each course will act as 'refresher' training for those taken previously?