Loosening Bar Nut on Husqvarna 435

rimo911s

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry the pawl is part of the mechanism that activates the chain brake . It seems you may have inadvertently snapped the brake band on with it not fitted to the saw . This means that the brake band will have reduced in diameter ( in its clamping mode ) and therefor won't fit ( with clearance ) around the clutch drum . With it in this position it will will foul and cant the cover over causing interference . You need to de activate the brake ( pull the handle back towards you when its on the saw ) but if you cant get the mechanism to engage ( because of the situation ) then youi will have to do it with it not on the saw . This will entail holding the cover firmly , by clamping in a vice , ( wooden blocks either side would be a good idea ) and using something as described by Rich to activate the brake to expand the band thus enabling assembly . Phew ! make sense ?

Have had similar on 242/42's

Slacken the chain off a fair bit so it hangs off the bar a bit, pull the chain up on the top side of the bar so it lifts the bar into plce and nip the nut up as tight as it should be (hope that makes sense - trying to describe things isn't my strong point).

With some slack in the chain you can more easily see what's nipping the chain - I'd guess its the thin plates either side of of the bar where it mounts.

If it's the correct chain, I'd be looking in the area of those thin plates to see if there's any crap behind them or maybe a badly finished bit making them not sit right.

I don't know the 435 but like others have said it looks like there's some white plastic bits missing (or would at least expect to see) - this probably shouldn't affect it as they have a habit of falling off anyway.

Just got in after a bit of logging, it looks like Andy and Rich are on the money, the chain brake looks engaged to me and if the side cover is forced in to position then it will foul on the clutch drum.....now we are cooking:thumbup:

There are two ways of sorting this, one is to make a tool like Gardenkit did a while back and I am sure he will only be too glad to show us his creation again. Use this tool to disengage the chain brake.

The other way of sorting this is to take the bar and chain off the saw, put the side cover back on the bar stud, push the top of the cover against where the star linkage engages with the chain brake handle, push the handle forward and the side cover should move a little more inwards so the star in the chain brake engages with the star cavity in the brake handle.

Then push the top of the cover hard against the chain brake handle and crank the handle back toward the top handle and the thing should click as the chain brake is pulled back in to the off position:thumbup:

Make sure they engage well as it is possible it will slip and mess up the chain brake handle where it engages with the chain brake cover.

It is possible to remove the chain brake handle to get a better fit between the two parts to disengage the brake.

I think our work will be done on this one now:thumbup::biggrin:

Sorry to contradict what others have posted but having had one of these saws I'd say your chain brake looks fine however in your pic on page 2 there is a plastic insert below the chain tensioner on the side cover that looks to have been scoured buy the chain I'd check that it is fitted propperly as if memory serves me corectly it only held in place with a small screw and can quite easily vibrate lose allowing the chain to contact the plastic and give the symptoms you are describing hope this helps

Edited by Tractor62

Just got in after a bit of logging, it looks like Andy and Rich are on the money, the chain brake looks engaged to me and if the side cover is forced in to position then it will foul on the clutch drum.....now we are cooking:thumbup:

There are two ways of sorting this, one is to make a tool like Gardenkit did a while back and I am sure he will only be too glad to show us his creation again. Use this tool to disengage the chain brake.

The other way of sorting this is to take the bar and chain off the saw, put the side cover back on the bar stud, push the top of the cover against where the star linkage engages with the chain brake handle, push the handle forward and the side cover should move a little more inwards so the star in the chain brake engages with the star cavity in the brake handle.

Then push the top of the cover hard against the chain brake handle and crank the handle back toward the top handle and the thing should click as the chain brake is pulled back in to the off position:thumbup:

Make sure they engage well as it is possible it will slip and mess up the chain brake handle where it engages with the chain brake cover.

It is possible to remove the chain brake handle to get a better fit between the two parts to disengage the brake.

I think our work will be done on this one now:thumbup::biggrin:

Larf ! Get the cape on and the pants out side the tights !

Sorry guys in capes, but I think Tractor62 is on the money with this one, that chain brake looks fine to me.

Looks like that plastic has been scoured by that wide chain.

Holy scored plastic bit chainsaw man . looks like we will have to think again . " splatt " " Kapow " !!!!