At what size does a sapling become a tree?

Jspiteri

Chaps, I have a query! At what size do you classify regeneration/sapling a tree. I would have thought at 200mm as CS31 is 200 - 380. I could do with knowing if there is anything where it officially states it, or do you you agree with CS31 as a guide??

Feathered Trees. Feathered trees have a defined upright central leader and a stem with evenly distributed lateral branching over most of its height. Feathered trees can range in height from relatively small plants of 1.5-2m high (2/3 year plants) to semi-mature. Hope that helps. But others may say different .

Interesting 'conundrum' you post.

Just to give another angle/consideration the TCPA (Town & Country PLanning Act) covering trees in Conservation Areas starts at 75mm dia. @ 1.5m above ground level.

Interestingly it alos defines a tree as anything and ordinary person might call a tree...or words to that effect.

I don't believe there is any right / wrong / definitive answer to your question...but interesting nonetheless.

Cheers..

Paul

The reason I'm asking is with reference to AFAG 804, Electricity at work: Forestry and arboriculture. Do not fell a tree within 2 tree lengths of energised power lines. My argument is if the "tree" is only 4" in diameter and say 7ft tall, I wouldn't class it as a tree and therefore if it was 14ft from an energised power line it should be exempt??