How many Arbtalkers are AA members

jaime bray

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just to reiterate this isnt a question based on are you an ArbAc company, and would you be an arbac, it was more so in the sense of do you pay a subscription to the AA as a member whether that be associate level or corporate etc.

I was always told when I was at college back in 1996 that being an AA member was a fine step to keeping upto date with industry information, with the development of the internet and Mr. Bullman jumping on the .com balloon and creating this fine little 'well big' baby, the search and ability to keep upto date has become a lot easier.

I personally can never remember a thing i read off the computer screen and have to read it on paper at a time when I can digest the information, hence the need for a magazine or journal.

I find the information very helpful especially when i was directing my studies for the Prof Dip exams and keeping abreadth of what was hot and was not.

I guess I bought into the mindset that by supporting, what i see as my industry trade organisation in the UK, and subscribing and contributing to available funds I help my industry develop. One thing that always stuck in my mind, and bless the AA as I do not think they blow their own trumpet very well, was reading an article some ten years ago about the significant steps that the AA took to ensure that chainsaws were allowed to be used still in this country, as at the time the EU were considering banning them under emissions regulations. I may not have remebered this fact correctly but for some reason it sticks.

I therefore do personally see it as a contribution to my industry. I do find myself using many of the now freely available downloads on the website reference H & S stuff, and the evermore growing business management stuff available,that we should really be adopting regardless of the comapny size and main client base; commercial or domestic.

It would be interesting to speak to an insurance company and ask them if as a small two man band company if we do not do cossh, loler, puwer, electrical testing and all that jazz where would we stand should anything happen, most of this is readily available via the AA website;

Just a quick question have any of the non members used AA merchandise whilst operating their business that they downloaded free of charge or were emailed via a friend?

I hope that this post hasnt become a rant. i just thought that it would be good for the AA to be aware of how mnay people /members they have and where and what industry operatives thoughts are. I personally enjoy reading the journals etc available from the AA, the ISA stuff unfortunatley I do not read as I am not a member. Regards to whether or not my clients are bothered about it is irrelevant to me. I know that through my journal reading and also of the books, i can educate my customers clearly and concisely with current industry theory and best practice, and a lot of that comes from my AA membership and reading the newsletter and journal.

Edited by jaime bray

And how come Steve gets wished a Good weekend, and I don't??? Just cos its his forum, I'm not just a number you know :001_rolleyes: (bloomin favouritism, that's what it is) :001_smile:

What paul said to you was genuine, had he had said the same to you you would have thought huh templated answer. instead what you had was a personal message from a dear old man....

put a big smile on ya face and have a good weekend!!!!!:001_tt2: lots of love jaime

What paul said to you was genuine, had he had said the same to you you would have thought huh templated answer. instead what you had was a personal message from a dear old man....

put a big smile on ya face and have a good weekend!!!!!:001_tt2: lots of love jaime

Wow, now I have a nice warm glow inside of me, my faith in all of humankind is re kindled, and I'm now thinking of tipping the Carol singers and bellowing Ho Ho HO around the village at the top of my voice in a happy Santa type voice.

Thank you :thumbup:

Whilst I agree in principle with such organisations, as a mainly domestic based business, it wouldn't matter if I had royal appointment, customers are mainly price oriented when choosing a contractor.

Whilst I would like to be a member of an organisation, I feel that the more responsible tree workers have enough hoops to jump through to run their business,s and find it difficult to find the time to enhance their business further.

You can only do so much before you lose your competitive edge, again....this boils down to the level playing field scenario

Very sad but true

Dean this for me is not so much about competitive edge or business enhancement, i personally just enjoy being a member, i have had some very beneficial conversations with AA staff at the Arbshow and various other conferences I have attended over the last 16 years, not all of them wewre AA events but the AA were there demonstrtating or something else, all of which have benefited me in many ways. All be it, i could have still had those chats whether or not i paid membership or not. But the sense of giving my money to a UK industry body that I grew up knowing of, ticks a box in my theta values.

And I have to add, that being given the opportunity to try and asssit the AA, through the AWG in maintaing, developing and promoting good arboriculture, is a privelage for me.

Wow, now I have a nice warm glow inside of me, my faith in all of humankind is re kindled, and I'm now thinking of tipping the Carol singers and bellowing Ho Ho HO around the village at the top of my voice in a happy Santa type voice.

Thank you :thumbup:

See, there you go... Doesnt it feel better to be warm to people. haha.

P.S. have you considered volunteering for santa, from previous posts, if remeber reading correctly, you have put a few pound on lately with your recent ill health? Every cloud and all that... Every little helps..

P.P.S. for the record before that gets jumped on as a fattest or weightest comment, I am 16st10lb and well in need of losing a good 3stone, and were we in a pub the reply from andy would be kettle and pot!!!!! and id buy him a dram