Moisture gauge help please!

jdavis

Hi guys,

Just after any advice really, thinking about getting a moisture gauge.

Its not for work just for my own logs, which I fell, process and season myself so out of interest I want to know their moisture content.

Is the stihl one on FR Jones a decent one? If not what are the options?

Cheers Jack

I bought one a couple of months ago and being a bit sad I've been experimenting to see how accurate it is.

A freshly felled Rowan tree heart wood measured at 36%. I weighed it and then dried it on top of the stove and established that it was actually 47% water. So not very accurate.

In addition, logs mainly dry through the ends, so logs at 20% will often measure 12% at the ends. If you freshly split the log to check then this will help.

I'm not sure that mine was much use really. I've taken to weighing a couple of logs and marking their target weight for 20% moisture on them. Slot them in the pile and reweigh each month til they hit target.

Want to buy a second hand moisture meter?

I still fail to understand what use they are. If when the logs are first cut the reading is totally inaccurate, then as it dries on the outside you can't measure with any meaning at all. So you resplit a log and measure.

Mine read 36% in freshly split wood which was actually 47%. Then when it was actually 20% it read 2% on the outside. Seems a total waste of money.