Wood burning stove fitted at last.

Rupe

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That’s looking good Rupe, now all you have to do is get a "heats" engineer to sign off on it “cos if you don’t your house insurance will be void” and the building regs guy to sign off or he will put you in jail…..forever, or untill you promise to be a good boy………………….its true I read it on a forum somewhere, I live in constant fear myself :laugh1:

Yeah, dont know how I sleep at night!!!

Building regs, its not a new build so who cares. Insurance pah! The stove was there when I bought the house!! (actually far safer than the open fire I had fitted before)

Selling the house? HIPS has been scrapped so dont need it.

If I had gone for the £1100 fitting then I woul dhave got a HETAS cert with it, but the same company told me all the regs and advised me to do it myself if I was a handy sort of bloke who didnt mind going on the roof, so I have done it all to the regs and it would pass HETAS if I ever felt the need to, but mostly I just put logs on it.

Yeah, dont know how I sleep at night!!!

Building regs, its not a new build so who cares. Insurance pah! The stove was there when I bought the house!! (actually far safer than the open fire I had fitted before)

Selling the house? HIPS has been scrapped so dont need it.

If I had gone for the £1100 fitting then I woul dhave got a HETAS cert with it, but the same company told me all the regs and advised me to do it myself if I was a handy sort of bloke who didnt mind going on the roof, so I have done it all to the regs and it would pass HETAS if I ever felt the need to, but mostly I just put logs on it.

I think that's the most important point in this whole situation :001_tt2:

i,am made up for you well done"" >>> less fuel bills now n toastyhouse 24/7

me and my cousin/builder did mine exact same story as yours about 2 years ago i,ve never looked back only problem now is i,ve been mithered by gas board twice to check my meter as they thought i was fiddling the meter as the gas bill was a silly £186 pm but then found out it had gone faulty so new meter fitted now and i get gas bills of around £11 per month ps i bought a overkill stove so i can lob big lumps in for longer burns overnight etc its rare its out i just run it low n slow house is a toasty 22.9c atm >> nice

I have the same stove in my office. It's a great little stove with plenty of oompf!

I too fitted a fexi-flue myself. Just borrowed a long ladder and dropped it down the lum from outside. The flue is suspended from a cowl that sits atop the original chimney. I also had a cone fitted to the end of the flue to stop it snagging on the way down. It took less than two hours to fit and get it running!

Lang may yer lum reek Rupe.

Guys - I'm not having a go at you or anything - but this is one of those things that crops up quite often on forums. I guess most of you would be taking the mick about householders doing their own tree work, or other people ignoring TPOs or whatever - but it's fine to ignore building regs and so on where a stove is involved! Building regs ARE a legal thing at the end of the day - and if there are issues with insurance over a chimney fire, or the worst case scenario - carbon monoxide fumes leaking into next door - there WILL be issues and you WILL be liable.

"Other trades" are always trying to rip everyone off or that's how it's seen. The fact is that they probably view the £20 a metre liner off ebay the same way you might view a "professional" Chinese 90 quid saw painted orange - there's a world of difference between that and decent stuff.

There's nothing at all in law to stop you fitting your own stove - BUT why not finish it off properly and get it signed off by Building control - hell of a lot cheaper than using a HETAS fitter but you know you're covered if anything goes wrong. I know it all seems like unnecessary expense - but you could say that about car insurance too and I bet you pay that every year!