Beginners climbing guide, hints, tips and general climbing techniques

Adam Bourne

harness of your choice, helmet, rope, 2 x prusiks, 3 x 3way locking crabs, 5m strop / lanyard. You could cut a crab an the lanyard and go end on end but that would be a pain in the rear IMO.

Ok thank you whats the best way to set it up

Sent from my LG-D802 using Arbtalk mobile app

throw your line over the highest limb you can throw it over tie a 4 wrap prusik onto your tail side of the line. Clip a crab over the bridge of your harness and then tie a larks foot on the end of your prusik then clip in. Clip the spliced eye / sewn eye or bowline or however you terminate the other side of the line in. Then make a short stop same principle although this time tie your 4 wrap prusik and larks foot into a crab and attach to your side D then tie a bowline or anchor hitch to another crab this will then be used as a lanyard / secondary attachment it will clip into your other side D when required. I would strongly recommend getting a competent climber to instruct you on this before even attempting ascending a tree on your own. It is well worth downloading the arbtalk knot guide to start learning some knots!!!! Stay safe and dont try and figure it out for yourself. There is a reason why we have to learn to climb and do aerial rescue tickets for this trade!!!!

throw your line over the highest limb you can throw it over tie a 4 wrap prusik onto your tail side of the line. Clip a crab over the bridge of your harness and then tie a larks foot on the end of your prusik then clip in. Clip the spliced eye / sewn eye or bowline or however you terminate the other side of the line in. Then make a short stop same principle although this time tie your 4 wrap prusik and larks foot into a crab and attach to your side D then tie a bowline or anchor hitch to another crab this will then be used as a lanyard / secondary attachment it will clip into your other side D when required. I would strongly recommend getting a competent climber to instruct you on this before even attempting ascending a tree on your own. It is well worth downloading the arbtalk knot guide to start learning some knots!!!! Stay safe and dont try and figure it out for yourself. There is a reason why we have to learn to climb and do aerial rescue tickets for this trade!!!!

i intend too lol is there any good videos about ?

A good rope, a harness, a good helmet, a prusik, 2 crabs and a Silky.

Learn your knots and learn to footlock and that will get you into the tree with very little extra needed. I still do quite a lot with just this set up, but if I were to do it as a living rather than a hobby, then things start getting more advanced.

I'm lucky, in that what I do in trees is very rarely anywhere near the general public, houses or footpaths etc... I usually have plenty of space, and quite a lot of trees nearby should I need to take the weight off my standing tree/limb.

If you're used to freeclimbing, and most of us did it as kids, the added security of a rope is massively comforting, but don't get too cocky with it before you really start to understand the system and how it works, most of all, know the limitations of your kit, and yourself.

A good rope, a harness, a good helmet, a prusik, 2 crabs and a Silky.

Learn your knots and learn to footlock and that will get you into the tree with very little extra needed. I still do quite a lot with just this set up, but if I were to do it as a living rather than a hobby, then things start getting more advanced.

I'm lucky, in that what I do in trees is very rarely anywhere near the general public, houses or footpaths etc... I usually have plenty of space, and quite a lot of trees nearby should I need to take the weight off my standing tree/limb.

If you're used to freeclimbing, and most of us did it as kids, the added security of a rope is massively comforting, but don't get too cocky with it before you really start to understand the system and how it works, most of all, know the limitations of your kit, and yourself.

Are these ok ?

Rock_Exotica_rockO_Karabiner - Honey Brothers Ltd