reduction wasn't enough

colwoodlandcare

Nope! I would usually assume that it referred to a 25% reduction in the crown height and spread unless otherwise stated. The confusion that arose over the use of percentages is why the Standard is now different. You can still use percentages but have to be more specific e.g. reduce crown by 25% to give a final tree height of 12m and crown spread of 8m.

Hmmm, BS (Note 1, p.28) states "Specifications for a percentage reduction are imprecise and unsatisfactory without reference to length, height, spread etc."

Also guidance to the 1APP (TPO app form) refers to use of branch length removed and remaining etc.

I would suggest moving towards actual dimensions, wheerver possible, but always to state that reference to dimensions is approximate to give some flexibility and room for manoevre when completeing the actual works.

Just my thoughts / interpretations.

Cheers..

Paul

If you explained clearly at the quoting stage and prior to getting up there, I would invoice the customer for the work already done.

Smile politely, if they want more taking off you would be more than happy to provide a quote.

This job is about managing expectations. If you do that effectively you shouldn't have these type of problems.

Did an Oak reduction on saturday, the tree is in a neighbours property and they wanted more like in the garden, so after they had spoke with the neighbour and gained permission and i went and spoke and agreed on a 25% reduction, i explained this wasn't 25% of the height nor width to come off and it was 25% leaf volume and they should loose about 3-4 foot off this tree.

Any how we took the evy off which was 4cbm of chip worth and reduced the tree, i took 15ft out the top for them. At the end of the day they said it wasn't what they imagined and fort that the tree would be a 3rd smaller. :S

I have agreed to go back and take a further 4-5meters out the top of the tree, but personally i think it will spoil the look of the tree.

Don't mix feet and metres when talking to clients, use one or the other.

How big was the tree originally, before reduction?

Be a lot clearer with the client about what you are saying, even reading this post I'm not sure I would know what you proposed to do, maybe it's lost in the telling of the story.

Use pictures with lines to describe what you mean, as Paul suggested.

Hmmm, BS (Note 1, p.28) states "Specifications for a percentage reduction are imprecise and unsatisfactory without reference to length, height, spread etc."

Also guidance to the 1APP (TPO app form) refers to use of branch length removed and remaining etc.

I would suggest moving towards actual dimensions, wheerver possible, but always to state that reference to dimensions is approximate to give some flexibility and room for manoevre when completeing the actual works.

Just my thoughts / interpretations.

Cheers..

Paul

I was giving an example of the bare minimum that could easily be understood by the client. Of course the instructions to the tree surgeon would e more detailed .....but for the client KISS.

Thanks for the comments, i have used the tech of taking a pic before hand and drawing a line on it where it will be cut to. I normally always do a written quote, but they didn't want one. In the past i have just given them the paper copy in the morning also.

I guess how I've tried to explain it on hear has even got me confused. :confused1:

The morning of the job we agreed on the point in the tree where it would come down to but guess once the work was done he can't see what it used to be like nor what has come off.

I think ill just talk about meters coming off the tree and not talk at all about percentages, to save confusion.

Invoice him then and requote.

Ask him what he does for a living... The make up an example of two different things that are similar but vastly different in terms of work involved. Ask would he do the second job for free?

I have seen it work when one customer expected another 10 foot taken off the already reduced by 50% conifers. We were 8 conifers into a line of about 20 and he wanted a further 10 foot off. Even though one of them we topped out and showed him with a tape measure that the piece on the floor was the same height give or take a foot at the standing piece.

The customer was a solicitor, so the guy I worked for asked him if he had an appointment with him to discuss a legal matter. How would he react if at the end of the meeting you decide to talk about another matter you would need legal advice on. This may take up to another hour or so, would this be free or would you charge.?

I think you could guess what the Solictor said...

If you explained clearly at the quoting stage and prior to getting up there, I would invoice the customer for the work already done.

Smile politely, if they want more taking off you would be more than happy to provide a quote.

This job is about managing expectations. If you do that effectively you shouldn't have these type of problems.

This is such a great reply, best advice for your predicament by a mile:thumbup1: