In praise of Grey Squirrels

Le Sanglier

Ah, now here's one situation you can make the squirrels work for you. When the nuts are ripening, stick a few buckets or bowls of sand around the tree (make sure they have holes in the bottom so the sand doesn't become waterlogged). When the squirrels grab the nuts they will look for the easiest place to cache them - in your buckets. Once the nuts are gone from your trees, tip out the bucket to retrieve them - the squirrels having done all the work.

Alec

pure genius! :D

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ah, now here's one situation you can make the squirrels work for you. When the nuts are ripening, stick a few buckets or bowls of sand around the tree (make sure they have holes in the bottom so the sand doesn't become waterlogged). When the squirrels grab the nuts they will look for the easiest place to cache them - in your buckets. Once the nuts are gone from your trees, tip out the bucket to retrieve them - the squirrels having done all the work.

Alec

why dont they bury my hazel nuts

Has it occured to you lot that the other species on this planet may not be here purely for our convenience.

They may be in a queue waiting to take the helm after we have well and truly cocked up......we qualified in that department a long time ago.

Food for thought...Vive La Fluffy Bunny

I actually used to like grey squirrels(as a child my dad would take me to the park to feed them !)but that was before I was educated on them and discovered how they had driven out the red and how much damage they cause to trees and I personally would not fancy a bite from one as I know a few people who have had those squirrel teeth sunken into them but it was not until I watched that tales from the wild wood that I realised you could actually eat them looks like its common knowledge but its somthing that had never crossed my mind but I have to admit since I found out that I have been looking at them in another light every time I see them scarper off into the wood as I drive up my drive it has crossed my mind I wonder what they taste like?

I actually used to like grey squirrels(as a child my dad would take me to the park to feed them !)but that was before I was educated on them and discovered how they had driven out the red and how much damage they cause to trees and I personally would not fancy a bite from one as I know a few people who have had those squirrel teeth sunken into them but it was not until I watched that tales from the wild wood that I realised you could actually eat them looks like its common knowledge but its somthing that had never crossed my mind but I have to admit since I found out that I have been looking at them in another light every time I see them scarper off into the wood as I drive up my drive it has crossed my mind I wonder what they taste like?

You know a few people who have been bitten by squirrels? What sort of circles do you hang about in? how did these people come to be bitten?