In praise of Grey Squirrels

Le Sanglier

http://www.forestry.gov.uk/fr/INFD-8C8BHC

It is thought that red squirrels made their way to the British Isles from mainland Europe by the end of the last ice age, approximately 10 000 years ago. Records indicate a large population as far back as the 15th and 16th Centuries, but evidence shows that before grey squirrel introductions, there were historical population fluxes of reds. By the 18th century populations were declining principally because of loss of woodland. Red squirrels were reported as extinct in some parts of Scotland following large-scale deforestation, but the widespread planting of conifers and introductions of red squirrels from England, and possibly Scandinavia in the late 18th and early 19th centuries resulted in increasing populations between 1890 and 1910.

In 1903, the Highland Squirrel Club was established to control red squirrels, which were causing severe bark-stripping damage to trees, and over 82,000 animals were killed in the 20 years up to 1933. Populations throughout the British Isles declined again between 1910 and 1930 becoming scarce in many places in the 1920s (Gurnell, 1991). A similar pattern of population change occurred in Northern Ireland.

Genetic testing shows that a Welsh enclave of reds has a unique mitochondrial haplotype, meaning that they are probably the only remnants of the original British population.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Forest Research - UK Red Squirrel Group - Red squirrel facts

It is thought that red squirrels made their way to the British Isles from mainland Europe by the end of the last ice age, approximately 10 000 years ago. Records indicate a large population as far back as the 15th and 16th Centuries, but evidence shows that before grey squirrel introductions, there were historical population fluxes of reds. By the 18th century populations were declining principally because of loss of woodland. Red squirrels were reported as extinct in some parts of Scotland following large-scale deforestation, but the widespread planting of conifers and introductions of red squirrels from England, and possibly Scandinavia in the late 18th and early 19th centuries resulted in increasing populations between 1890 and 1910.

In 1903, the Highland Squirrel Club was established to control red squirrels, which were causing severe bark-stripping damage to trees, and over 82,000 animals were killed in the 20 years up to 1933. Populations throughout the British Isles declined again between 1910 and 1930 becoming scarce in many places in the 1920s (Gurnell, 1991). A similar pattern of population change occurred in Northern Ireland.

Genetic testing shows that a Welsh enclave of reds has a unique mitochondrial haplotype, meaning that they are probably the only remnants of the original British population.

Hi Stumpgrinder

We have a house in the Landes and quite often see red squirrels in the garden, although they aren't as bold as the greys that we get here in the UK.

I have a walnut tree at home here and each year the grey squirrels manage to strip it of all the nuts in a day. I don't believe the little blighters could manage the whole tree - about 200 nuts - singly so I reckon they must team up. Every time I think I'll pick those at the weekend they all go missing a couple of days before. I definitely don't like grey squirrels.

Hi there,

Would be nice to see some reds in my garden but alas! All my figs get taken by the dormice out here, birds nick my cherries, etc we've all gotta eat!

Ok, here's another similar case, American Mink, I worked on a carp fishing lake in a previous life and the boss would trap and shoot them. Presumably as there are European Mink here on the mainland they lived in the UK and just never made it back after the ice age.

An absolutely beautiful animal, ok so I sure people will have stories of mink killing all their ducklings, chickens etc just like any other predator (stoat, rat, fox) but to me they are are real treat to see.

Now the water vole question, here's my answer, so what! If it was a choice between the two I'd rather see a mink than a vole on the river bank. But the vole is a native see! one of the holy 21 mammals that came back after the big freeze so no expense should be spared to save it.

I just wanted some out of the box thinking on these "aliens"

Ok, here's another similar case, American Mink, I worked on a carp fishing lake in a previous life and the boss would trap and shoot them. Presumably as there are European Mink here on the mainland they lived in the UK and just never made it back after the ice age.

An absolutely beautiful animal, ok so I sure people will have stories of mink killing all their ducklings, chickens etc just like any other predator (stoat, rat, fox) but to me they are are real treat to see.

Now the water vole question, here's my answer, so what! If it was a choice between the two I'd rather see a mink than a vole on the river bank. But the vole is a native see! one of the holy 21 mammals that came back after the big freeze so no expense should be spared to save it.

so you want a world full of predators? what happens when the predators run out of food? you wont see neither then

I massively agree with you on the slavish native thing, and easyness of assigning 'pest' to things which I have always found a bit sheepish.

As soon as I think of an argument to prove me and you right and everyone else wrong, I'll be on it.

Meanwhile I think you're doing quite well yourself:thumbup1:

According to HCR's post....it seems that we may have left the Reds decimated through deforestation and culling, before the Greys got a peep.

So we...as usual....may be to blame and not the cute fluffy tails. Not that blame is the issue, but you reap what you sow.

Love the Froggy squirrel by the way:001_smile:

Its the absence of a natural predator to control their numbers that is the cause of the Greys being a pest rather than their origin. Reds were culled in the past because gamekeepers had killed off most of their natural predators. It's balance that is needed for the Grey, so love them or hate them we should still shoot them and eat them.

I have a walnut tree at home here and each year the grey squirrels manage to strip it of all the nuts in a day. I don't believe the little blighters could manage the whole tree - about 200 nuts - singly so I reckon they must team up. Every time I think I'll pick those at the weekend they all go missing a couple of days before. I definitely don't like grey squirrels.

Ah, now here's one situation you can make the squirrels work for you. When the nuts are ripening, stick a few buckets or bowls of sand around the tree (make sure they have holes in the bottom so the sand doesn't become waterlogged). When the squirrels grab the nuts they will look for the easiest place to cache them - in your buckets. Once the nuts are gone from your trees, tip out the bucket to retrieve them - the squirrels having done all the work.

Alec