Would you climb a tree condemned with Kretz

elicokiz

Ok may be a silly question but we have a very large beech on site which the local TO stated he would put a 7 day felling notice on if it was near vulnerable targets.The tree has extensive decay caused by Kretz,a resistograph identified less than 1/3 diameter of sound wood at several locations around the trunk where decay is evident. As I am not a TO and have limited risk assessment of tree failure probability, I am interested to know how many of you would deem it safe to climb such a tree.As I am responsible for the safety of my learners I have put the said tree out of bounds as far as climbing is concerned,is this being a little to cautious or sensible given the fact I work for a educational establishment?

P.s the tree is approximately 30meters

Regards

Dave

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

If it's been theoretically condemned by a TO and I was in your position as a responsible person I wouldn't chance it for a second!

The problem being that you are now aware that the tree has structural weakness and anything other than prohibiting work or climbing on it is wilful disregard for the safety of those in your charge.... I suspect that is how the courts would see it should a TIP failure lead to a fall anyway....

If it's been theoretically condemned by a TO and I was in your position as a responsible person I wouldn't chance it for a second!

The problem being that you are now aware that the tree has structural weakness and anything other than prohibiting work or climbing on it is wilful disregard for the safety of those in your charge.... I suspect that is how the courts would see it should a TIP failure lead to a fall anyway....

:thumbup:thanks for that WorcsWuss, my feelings exactly,unfortunately not every one who I work with agrees :confused1:as I don't work in the commercial world I just wanted to check out on the holistic veiw:thumbup:

Thanks again

Dave

.... I suspect that is how the courts would see it should a TIP failure lead to a fall anyway....

'WorcsWuss' just about sums it up nicely, AND, I would suggest, even if a fall was unrelated to a TIP because of KD the HSE/courts would still relate it back as poor judgement / negligence.

In the commercial world, I'm sure 'some' would take the risk, particularly if the tree has to be removed / reduced and you can't fell it or access with a platform, but in so doing they also take the chance...I wouldn't (that said I do recognise that in so doing they would modify how they climb / dismantle / rig, if req'd...hopefully not, but they're unlikley to have this written down in the form of a method statement so if anything untoward did happen the HSE/courts would see it simply as climbing an unsafe tree = no, no!)

One of the key factors to educate learners in is assessing risk and thinking outside the 'tree-climbing' box towards other 'safer' methods of work (where appropriate / necessary). This sounds like an ideal opportunity.

Cheers..

Paul

In your situation you've definately made the right decision.

My answer to your question is yes.

I've climbed and dimantled trees that were totally dead with no sound wood:001_smile:

Come down still shaking though:001_smile:

You're a braver man than me ....either that or I'm getting old :thumbup1:

:thumbup:thanks for that WorcsWuss, my feelings exactly,unfortunately not every one who I work with agrees :confused1:as I don't work in the commercial world I just wanted to check out on the holistic veiw:thumbup:

Thanks again

Dave

I'm quite surprised at that, I would have thought that everyone in the institution would base all decisions on their 'duty of care' .... :001_huh:

Thinking aloud, if my son was [old enough and] at your college and fell out of this tree, for whatever reason, given what you now know, I wouldn't be too happy with you or the college.... :001_huh::001_smile:

I think you've definitely taken the correct stance given your position David, it would be foolhardy to do anything else :thumbup1:

Simon

Sorry, TIP, tie in point....

In your situation you've definately made the right decision.

My answer to your question is yes.

I've climbed and dimantled trees that were totally dead with no sound wood:001_smile:

Come down still shaking though:001_smile:

I've dismantled ash trees which have been cracking under me as I've climbed them, and when we cut them up on the floor found that the only thing holding the compost which used to be the stem together was the ivy wrapped round it.... Was stupid and dangerous and if I'd thought it through better I wouldn't have done it [but I was working at home so keeeping the cost down.... :001_rolleyes:] :blushing: