elicokiz

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote=twistedhicap;775421

And knowing from experiences and having been involved with Incidents and accidents (not do do with my work but as a member of the department team) there is always someone looking to blame someone and parents and significant others will and do look to seek answers and compensation and this all leads back to someone !

ITs a night mare !

David

It's a sad fact of the industry that you always have to cover your bottom, thankfully never been in a situation where I've had to explain my actions to management or especially parents because of an accident . Learners who know me will know that I was threatened with solicitor action once for securing a learner in a tree against his wishes. that wasn't nice:confused1:

Students, no of course not, an experienced climber in order to remove it, yes (as long as he was happy to do so)

Thanks stump grinder, as I don't work outside education I can only use my own judgement so i was interested in everyone's take on the post :thumbup1:

I think I have been up worse and not known it was goosed until the stem was felled at the end of the job. 30% woood left is quite a lot but if the decay is off-centre it's not very safe.

You ought to assume the tree is by now worse than at the last good wind blasting it stood up to. Also if the decay is on the compression side under wind loading but on the tension side for rigging down it's abiltiy to stand up to wind is no proof of it's abilty to stand up to loads from another direction. I would be thinking about the additional shock forces of rigging down that a tree doesn't normally feel. And if the tree is going to be unbalanced after one side is cleared.

I'd climb it and take it down in little bits, freefalling as much stuff as possible. I wouldn't let a trainee anywhere near it. Better still, a MEWP or crane is probably justified after risk assessment. Good luck!

What would the bats have to live in then Martyn:sneaky2: did you see the hanger across the field from where you boys were climbing Sunday ? The ash next to the assessment oaks?

Dave

i pm'd you about that hanger a a couple off weeks ago dave, you only just seen it? i put a thread up on here about the fung on it :thumbup1: with regards to the beech, it put up with the last winds and we climbed it after the TO had been. if i rember rightly he said he would climb it if it were to come down

i pm'd you about that hanger a a couple off weeks ago dave, you only just seen it? i put a thread up on here about the fung on it :thumbup1: with regards to the beech, it put up with the last winds and we climbed it after the TO had been. if i rember rightly he said he would climb it if it were to come down

Hi Gary, that's a negatory,spotted it a while ago too. You would have spotted the beech had lost a large limb then? The issue is care of duty as has been stated already ,I don't think any of the learners should climb it and you know what I'm like with health and safety lol

Dave

Hi Gary, that's a negatory,spotted it a while ago too. You would have spotted the beech had lost a large limb then? The issue is care of duty as has been stated already ,I don't think any of the learners should climb it and you know what I'm like with health and safety lol

Dave

You have enough stable trees for learners to practice on to be honest... that beach is on a timer whether it falls or is dismantled it will come down, how long is a difficult question.. should students climb it? Simple no.. its a wonderful tree and great climb but not worth risking liability. Imo

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk 2

Dave

didnt go at that end of the camps, will be sure to look next time im that way on :thumbup1: not at all dave :001_tongue: