Firewood in Fife?

mcmoonter

I've mostly been burning slab wood from the saw mill at Inzievar, but our new stove burns it pretty quickly.

I looked in at Fife Council's parks yard at Dunikeir a while back to see if I could buy or uplift logs that they routinely shredded. H&S said it was a no go. Sad really as I'd put it to a better use.

Is there anywhere/anyone in Fife (I'm near Kirkcaldy) I could try to source some wood?

Peter

Hi Peter

Im in Glenrothes and dont have a problem in getting firewood. Its all about developing long term contacts. I have been milling trees with an Alaskan Mill for about 12 years now and people now phone me up with requests for me to take away trees for milling and when I get there if they are too small they are firewood. Any branches on bigger logs are also firewood. I also do all the tree work for my landlord so I get paid to get my own firewood. Me and a mate also act very professionally and responsibly. We dont leave a mess, we are tidy, and polite to enquiring members of the public, barrier tapes and signs are put up if near the public etc. You get the message. This is the total opposite to large nos of the public who I have seen running about Glenrothes in the last couple of years with chainsaws and vans cutting trees up for firewood. Often badly parked on bends in the road, no safety gear, B&Q chainsaw, their kids helping and getting in the way and nearly being killed in the processs, no training or qualifications or insurance. The police in Fife are starting to arrest these kind of people for theft of the wood as this is the only way they can possibly prevent serious injury or even death.

Sorry I cant be much help in giving you any locations where you could help yourself to free wood but as it has taken me about 15 years to develop good relationships with local landowners to the point I can go and help myself when I want to, I am not going to lose that privilidge.

Mike

I think some of the replys so far are a bit harsh. So mcmoonter wants to be able to cut and split his own firewood. He didn't appear to be asking where to sneak into woods to illegally fell trees I got the impression he is after felled lengths to log up. If Kirkaldy hadn't been mentioned would answers have been different? I don't know the area has it a poor reputation?

Thanks for the replies folks.

My original post was simply a request where I could source (buy or uplift) material I could process for my own needs. Between the sawmill and what we have lost here we have been self sufficient in wood for a while, and I have a lot to keep me going.

Ultimately, I was hoping I could find some of the guys who work for the council who cold point me in the direction of stuff that is being cleared before it reaches the council yard. I had heard there was a community project to do something similar, but I cant find the link to it.

Wood%2520pile%2520003.JPG