buying new saw form dealers

salter

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Justin , So why can't I (living in Dublin) buy T201 from you , I have NPTC CS 38/39 ?

Hi

It has nothing to do with the certs, Stihl won't let us sell outside the UK mainland. We are a UK mainland dealer and Stihl already have an Ireland distributor.

I'd love to sell you a saw, but I have to play the rules.

doesnt a dealer have to do a personal hand over on the first stihl purchase or something like that

Only for people with no saw tickets. So the dealer makes sure the purchaser knows the machine, it's features and safety stuff.

After that the dealer can treat the customer as "known to be informed" so can send them saws and other stuff through the post with no face to face.

Here we go again!

Yes, you can buy any rear handle saw without producing your ticket, but not a topper.

Ok, we have established before that it is not illegal to sell a topper without seeing the tickets, but it is against industry code of conduct for the dealers.

So a clued up and conscientous dealer who wants to protect his reputation and avoid repurcussions, will ask for tickets. It really should not pose a problem to a purchaser as a potential user of a topper will have taken his courses.

I might have been being a little deliberately controversial previously..... :wink::laugh1:

Obviously Barrie has explained it perfectly :thumbup1:

In my experience some dealers abide by this, some don't, and I'm not talking shady characters either, I have bought [with no aerial tickets or evidence of any CS tickets, although I do have a few] a top handled Stihl from an authorised Stihl dealer.

The important thing is that it's NOT ILLEGAL to buy / sell a top handled saw. If it was there would have been a bill through parliament and the police would do spot checks at saw dealers..... It's a dealer code of conduct insisted on by the 2 big names, and understandably so.

And ref the overseas thing, I know Eurpoean dealers are good at sticking to their territories, but I think I have seen some US based dealers with a 'more flexible' approach to territory boundaries... :001_huh: