QTRA - I'm sorry i don't agree with it!

RobArb

As for that Australian ruling - its odd how much that crops up. I was once reminded of it in the feedback sheet from a tutor in relation to some coursework that dealt with UK tree management as if it somehow rendered the whole QTRA enterprise redundant. AFAIK UK courts aren't obliged to heed passing comments from their peers down under anymore than they abide by ours.

Other common law jurisdiction judgements are persuasive, rather than binding, on our courts.

The Privy Council is the final court of appeal for (various overseas territories, the Commonwealth for simplicity) and is binding on the lower courts of those countries to which it applies (I'm pretty sure that Australia is one of those).

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Surely QTRA is numerical rather than statistical ;)

:D True. Though OP queried the 1/10,000 threshold as well!

We can spot something as dangerous at the extreme end of the scale, but it just gets woolier as we move towards the safe end of the spectrum. We apply opinion and hope that we don't get caught out. Having a system, whatever that is, reduces the likelihood of being caught out if only for introducing repeatability.

Exactly. When does red become orange? We'd all point at a different point on the spectrum. Once we put system in place (e.g., the Pantone system) we can demarcate when that transition occurs. Where we put that threshold is subjective and we can argue about whether it should be more red or more orange (or higher or lower) but as long as we put it somewhere we have a reference point - the same is true of the 1/10,000 figure.

Edited by Amelanchier
tidy link

Other common law jurisdiction judgements are persuasive, rather than binding, on our courts.

The Privy Council is the final court of appeal for (various overseas territories, the Commonwealth for simplicity) and is binding on the lower courts of those countries to which it applies (I'm pretty sure that Australia is one of those).

Thankfully (and informatively) google / wikipedia tells me that;

"Australia effectively abolished the right of appeal from the Commonwealth Courts by statute, and from the State courts by the Australia Act 1986 (Cth). The Australian constitution still has a provision allowing the High Court of Australia to permit appeals to the Privy Council on inter se questions; however, the High Court has stated that it will not give such permission and that the jurisdiction to do so "has long since been spent" and is obsolete."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Judicial_Committee_of_the_Privy_Council#Australia

So I can breathe easy after overreaching the limits of my international law knowledge. :)

But why 1 in 10000? Based on acceptable levels of historic incidents? What one person sees as burnt red, another could see as crimson orange. Its about perception and interpretation and QTRA (IMO:biggrin:) offers no more value (as a system) than me saying the chance of the cherry tree across the road hitting the old lady as she walks past is negligible.

Thankfully (and informatively) google / wikipedia tells me that;

"Australia effectively abolished the right of appeal from the Commonwealth Courts by statute, and from the State courts by the Australia Act 1986 (Cth). The Australian constitution still has a provision allowing the High Court of Australia to permit appeals to the Privy Council on inter se questions; however, the High Court has stated that it will not give such permission and that the jurisdiction to do so "has long since been spent" and is obsolete."

Judicial Committee of the Privy Council - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

So I can breathe easy after overreaching the limits of my international law knowledge. :)

Haha, do you sit and digest google all day:thumbup:

:D True. Though OP queried the 1/10,000 threshold as well!

When does red become orange? We'd all point at a different point on the spectrum. Once we put system in place (e.g., the Pantone - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia system) we can demarcate when that transition occurs. Where we put that threshold is subjective and we can argue about whether it should be more red or more orange (or higher or lower) but as long as we put it somewhere we have a reference point - the same is true of the 1/10,000 figure.

Why not call the area between red and orange..."Don't Know"?

But why 1 in 10000? Based on acceptable levels of historic incidents? What one person sees as burnt red, another could see as crimson orange. Its about perception and interpretation and QTRA (IMO:biggrin:) offers no more value (as a system) than me saying the chance of the cherry tree across the road hitting the old lady as she walks past is negligible.

Exactly - all QTRA does is put a number on 'negligible' to let you compare it with other risks. Much like Albedo's doctor does (how is the headache anyway?).