Horizontal splitter or processor ?

Mortimer Firewood

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd stick with the splitter myself. A big horizontal with log lift would compliment your magik nicely and eliminate all that wrestling on big stuff (presuming your into the billet system, are you?)

Processors mean seasoning cordwood first, which is gonna take alot longer then billets. log deck and some sort of loader, cos who's gonna wrestle cordwood onto a processor all day. Or unseasoned cordwood and the need for a huge storage area for vented bags, which unlike neatly stacked billets under a tarp require a lot more space I'd say (?). Unless you spend mega bucks, you'll still be sawing up rings and splitting all the big stuff the processor can't cope with.

I'd stick with the splitter myself. A big horizontal with log lift would compliment your magik nicely and eliminate all that wrestling on big stuff (presuming your into the billet system, are you?)

Processors mean seasoning cordwood first, which is gonna take alot longer then billets. log deck and some sort of loader, cos who's gonna wrestle cordwood onto a processor all day. Or unseasoned cordwood and the need for a huge storage area for vented bags, which unlike neatly stacked billets under a tarp require a lot more space I'd say (?). Unless you spend mega bucks, you'll still be sawing up rings and splitting all the big stuff the processor can't cope with.

Yes we are into the billet system i was thinking of having the horzantal to break the big stuff down then put it through the magik to finish off to size. Then they are stacked round the outside of the field with the top three layers facing up and bought in as needed to dry any rain off. I do half the stock in billets and the rest in 10inch logs into vented bags or into arris fencing made into cubes. The thing is next year i am moving to a farm where i will have a 60 by120ft barn to use so the processor does sound good as ill have the use of the loadall to load processor then load logs into trailer. In an ideal world i would purchase both but i can not afford to do that.

I'll be going to Riko then!!!

Riko and posch are in different leagues and you do get what you pay for by the time you add the extras on to the Riko you are into 4500 well Posch are advertising there 30t for6500 on the Jasp Wwillson site. I've been looking for a second hand 30T +for ages but there like hens teeth. :001_smile:

What i am thinking jon is all the big stuff which we can get cheaper can be put through it with a 6 or 8 way knife.

Something you don't really see though is an 8 way knife for the big horizontals as it's pretty hard to make them strong enough to take the strain of pushing big stick at it - it's a bit different to pushing a 10" long log through a processor.

Seen a few 6 ways but the wood needs to be the right size for it to be much good from what I've seen.

The other thing is that unless your timber is fairly straight grained, you'll find you end up with some fairly interestingly shaper billets.

I have a 30t posch splitter they are good but , i havent used it for over a year , you have to cut the timber to fit the machine and sort it out from the rest of the pile

I think if you had a wagon full of big timber it would come into its own

At the moment i use a palax and ring anything up to 16" anything bigger is ringed and put through a quick pedastel splitter

The big posch is up for sale possibly

Not intending to de-rail, but I was taken with the American 2-way horizontal table splitter at the APF show, for rings, it had a central 2 sided pusher with, if I recall a single blade on one end and a multiple splitter on the other end.

Then one simply selected the most appropriate action depending on the next ring selected.

The larger or knotter logs being run through the single splitter until suitable for the multiple splitter side.

It simply pushed the split logs off the ends of the bench into a suspended bulk bags.

All very straightforward and simple, I can only presume CE marked for UK sales as I wondered at the H&S aspect.

Not intending to de-rail, but I was taken with the American 2-way horizontal table splitter at the APF show, for rings, it had a central 2 sided pusher with, if I recall a single blade on one end and a multiple splitter on the other end.

Then one simply selected the most appropriate action depending on the next ring selected.

The larger or knotter logs being run through the single splitter until suitable for the multiple splitter side.

It simply pushed the split logs off the ends of the bench into a suspended bulk bags.

All very straightforward and simple, I can only presume CE marked for UK sales as I wondered at the H&S aspect.

What price were you quoted as a recent thread on here said they started at about 8k and went up to well over 1o which seamed a lot for that machine.

It was a good idea though.