Hitch Hiker thread.

• Replies 839
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Exactly what gerb's said mate :) [ATTACH]124301[/ATTACH]

Sent from my iPhone using Arbtalk Mobile App

If you tied those two manky looking tails together, would it serve as a chest attachment loop, whilst detracting from the bodged together look? And prevent the rope from milking/unravelling?

If you tied those two manky looking tails together, would it serve as a chest attachment loop, whilst detracting from the bodged together look? And prevent the rope from milking/unravelling?

I think that's a bad idea. A chest loop attachment point should be no higher than the Oxan biner because by lifting the Oxan, the HH system releases and slides up the rope.

By only pulling up on the dog bone, the Oxan could still be locked.

From what I've seen, everyone either has a loop on the Oxan or clips into their bridge ring. I had a loop when I wore a Dragonfly, now I clip to the bridge ring since wearing a Tree Motion.

Sent with my iPhone from me, to you!

I think that's a bad idea. A chest loop attachment point should be no higher than the Oxan biner because by lifting the Oxan, the HH system releases and slides up the rope.

By only pulling up on the dog bone, the Oxan could still be locked.

From what I've seen, everyone either has a loop on the Oxan or clips into their bridge ring. I had a loop when I wore a Dragonfly, now I clip to the bridge ring since wearing a Tree Motion.

Your correct OMT, by not having the loop on the Oxan the friction would make tending/advancing more difficult.

VT/Knut and Schwabisch all do well, the variations are limitless with rope/hitchcord and friction hitches. You may find that the BL doesn't set as reliably when new using the Knut or Schwabisch when the cord is new. For me the VT was best until the cord loosened up somewhat, now all three hitches set well.

My issue is I don't climb full time, and when I do usually us the wrench, I am keen when I get a day to climb for a day on the HH and get it dialed in better.

The first pic is when it was new and shiny. The second is something I was playing with last time I put it down to assist in tending and RADS.

Cheers

Tony

010.1.jpg.e2af2fb69dd56b5708512ef39945ff80.jpg

047.1.jpg.3c984fad006e8be97ae6263623ec2542.jpg

Edited by Tony Knight

Cheers for that OMT, makes sense when you explain it, just seemed like a bright idea to me.

Tony, that pinto setup looks nice. On the brief play i had with a HH, it seemed a little unkeen on tending in a traditional pulley pull up motion. How do you find it?

Yep, that's how I found it Dan, thus mucking around with a pulley. I started by using a Fixie and found it tendered a little better, I went to a Pinto for the becket as I was playing with DRT change over (just clip your tip into the becket and off you go, thought it easier to remove and maybe better than setting a RADS up. Honestly I have not used it enough to work the pos's and neg's out.

Some guys around don't have any probs with the HH tending and one fella's apparently got it self tending some of the time on 8mm HRC, maybe I just need to spend the time to consciously get it dialed in?

Cheers,

Tony

Cheers for that OMT, makes sense when you explain it, just seemed like a bright idea to me.

Tony, that pinto setup looks nice. On the brief play i had with a HH, it seemed a little unkeen on tending in a traditional pulley pull up motion. How do you find it?

That Pinto setup does look nice although a few guys played with it on The Treehouse a few months back. They found an issue and stopped but sorry I can't remember what the issue was.

Dan, I know exactly what you mean about the pulley pull up motion as I find the same thing.

Earlier in this thread a few guys really argued with me about this and I was trying to explain that the HH is not designed to be used like this. Paul Cox climbs by sliding the HH up the rope.

To solve this problem I rubbed down the edges of the bottom slot and adjusted my technique.

I'm very impressed with the hitchhiker I really can't fault it, had a go with the Knut hitch today but want to try the half VT so might have a play with that tomorrow :)

I remember how I felt when SRTWP first sunk into my head using the wrench it put a massive smile on my face, well after using the HH today the smile was back :D

Wrench still rules though haaaaa! :sneaky:

Sent from my iPhone using Arbtalk Mobile App