Hitch Hiker thread.

I would like to clarify some things on these two comments. Though the end results of RW and HH are similar, the methods used to achieve those results are quite different. The RW uses a lever action that bends the line to produce enough extra friction that when combined with a hitch, or some other rope tool, the load on the hitch is quite similar to what it would experience in a doubled rope system. It has been well described as the branch that goes with you, creating a mini DdRT within the single line. Because of this, the amount of weight on the tail of the rope will alter how much force is required to move the RW. It is important to understand this variable and how to compensate for it if the weight on the line changes. If you do a search, you will find some great videos that Kevin did in documenting this aspect.

The Hitch Hiker applies force through the slots in its shell that the dogbone and carabiner slide on. The more weight, the more force. But because it does not deflect the rope, its performance is not altered from any changes in the tail rope weight. In most work situations this makes little difference but it is something to keep in mind and understand.

Hitch cord and hitch configuration recommendations were made after quite a bit of field testing. Other hitches and cords will work, some with fantastic results, but with far too many variables for a manufacturer to recommend. The thing that needs to be remembered is that any hitch or cord must produce 100% reliable grip. Many people lose sight of this in thier quest for a self-tailing system.

Sorry for the long post :blushing:

Dave

No apology needed Dave! :001_smile:

Can you explain how the HH applies friction to the line without deflecting it? I haven't seen one in the flesh, what happens 'inside' the unit? Do the dogbone and steel carabiner 'compress' the line against the gold coloured base?

• Replies 839
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hitch cord and hitch configuration recommendations were made after quite a bit of field testing. Other hitches and cords will work, some with fantastic results, but with far too many variables for a manufacturer to recommend. The thing that needs to be remembered is that any hitch or cord must produce 100% reliable grip. Many people lose sight of this in thier quest for a self-tailing system.

Sorry for the long post :blushing:

Dave

I've not deleted the first part of your post because I think its rubbish because it wasn't it was spot on and a great reply on the differences between the 2 devices And I very much like your posts dave :thumbup1:

This last part of your post is what I think a lot of people get wrong when it comes to hitches in any system, why would anyone want a hitch that self tends???? It's completely defeating the object of its job and its job is to keep you from falling from height! Right? So a self tending hitch has to be a hitch that is loose in order for it to self tend! It's just ridiculous in my eyes! If its doing this then its clearly not tied dressed and set properly and there for not doing its job it should be doing!!!! There are devices out there that will do this and that are designed to do this! But a hitch is designed to do 2 things grip the rope its on and add friction to the rope to help control a decent!!! Sorry, i might well come across as being arsy towards climbers who use this sporty option but that's just it its not a sport its not a competition! It's a job a job that we take all our time to eliminate every risk possible that you feel the need to ignore!!!

Rant over :biggrin:

If its doing this then its clearly not tied dressed and set properly and there for not doing its job it should be doing!!!!

I don't think that's right. I use a Knut, it's tied the normal way, grips every time without setting and still quite often self tends(which isn't something I look for, it just does)! It's doing it correct job just fine 😀

If its doing this then its clearly not tied dressed and set properly and there for not doing its job it should be doing!!!!

I don't think that's right. I use a Knut, it's tied the normal way, grips every time without setting and still quite often self tends(which isn't something I look for, it just does)! It's doing it correct job just fine

That's all well and good mate but it is how its tied, dressed and set though the less wraps on a Knut will make it self tend, I also use a knut with 5 wraps and I can honestly say mine has never self tended, and it almost certainly does not bined!!

What I was saying is that climbers that get the hitch to do this on purpose obviously like to take the risk of it not biting on the rope??? Which is beyond me.

I think mine has four wraps but my rope does weigh a ton, suppose that helps a tad. I've tried five wraps but was way to tight for me.

I will be moving over to srt soonish, most probably with the HH. I do believe its better for your shoulders isn't it?

I think mine has four wraps but my rope does weigh a ton, suppose that helps a tad. I've tried five wraps but was way to tight for me.

I will be moving over to srt soonish, most probably with the HH. I do believe its better for your shoulders isn't it?

I lot if people won't agree with Srt being better for you in anyway but I believe its better for me, I had wrist problems, tennis elbow, and you know them niggly little shoulder aches you get right under your shoulder blade, yep! Them too! I can honestly say since using Srt and mainly using my legs to ascend or even climbing the tree a little more than using your upper body strength to pull your self around, in 6 months of Srt working I've not sufficed one injury on any of the above, :thumbup1:

It's well worth ago mate even if you hate it! Which I'm sure you won't :001_smile:

Where abouts are you based?

I'm in Sheffield but also Woodhall Spa, Lincs. I've found out I've torn a tendon in my shoulder so using my legs more would be a bonus. I think it may suit me, when I'm out on a branch and things are a bit tricky, I tend to just grab both bits of rope(drt), pull myself back up to a secure position and then sort it out, not using the 2:1 advantage. If it doesn't suit me though, I'll just crack on anyway, giving up smoking has helped shoulder loads, in just ten days 😃

I'm in Sheffield but also Woodhall Spa, Lincs. I've found out I've torn a tendon in my shoulder so using my legs more would be a bonus. I think it may suit me, when I'm out on a branch and things are a bit tricky, I tend to just grab both bits of rope(drt), pull myself back up to a secure position and then sort it out, not using the 2:1 advantage. If it doesn't suit me though, I'll just crack on anyway, giving up smoking has helped shoulder loads, in just ten days 😃

When you next at woodhall I'll come to yours and you can have ago on the wrench!

Sorry for derailing your thread Ali you know I'll make it up to you in feedback for the HH when it comes mate

Nice one chap!

Yes, on with the thread - looking forward to more feedback on it. I take it you've ordered one Adam? What did it come to in the end in our money?

Not ordered one yet but looking best part of £150 with overseas delivery mate which ain't bad really looking forward to using it and giving more feedback on it! It would be great if a UK Arb shop could deal in it, apparently no one has shown any interest in it though :confused1: