Gear

telhol

Micro pulleys mean you can take in any slack in your line with one hand, and if used with the right hitch it is possible to get the rope to self-tend (ie the rope slips thru the hitch as you ascend when climbing up branches by hand but the hitch locks up when you sit back). (I think - this is pretty new to me!)

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

once you have got used to a vt with pully you wont go back ......it does seem odd climbing arm over arm if you have been used to a pussik and you have to re invent your body thrusting but the self tending slack (mine only does this at about 15 ft as i prefere 4-2)and coming in from limb walks one handed is genius!

i currently only rec climb but will have to look at some gear when i do my cs38 which will be asap funds permitting. probably get a petzl navaho. i tried one before and liked it since i enjoy a lot of freedom of movement.

currently, im just familiarising myself with the rope techniques. i use my wild country elite syncro ziplock harness climbing on 11mm traditional with a blakes and cambium saver set into the tree with a throwline. will move onto split tail soon. might try it next time out. since it doesnt have any side Ds, but has rated matched haul points built into the carcass of the harness i have a maillon secured in each of these points which allows me to snap my wirecore on and get some practice with that too. havent tried redirects yet, but will do soon

for sport climbing, i find it the most comfortable harness available. i also use it for kiteboarding

Just ordered my treemag hitch climber with a oceanp sling will let you know how i get on with it.

i was going to get that combo but im holding out. it all cost money..

i use a blakes everyday and apart from not self tending i cant fault it.

People that thrust, Blakes and taughtline generally find elbow problems.

Folks that hand over hand, arm over arm with the VT/micropulley distribute the weight better.

Plus you don't get a lopsided physique.

Limb walking with the eye and eye is way better than a blakes/taughtline.

That's what I've encountered in my evolution towards tighter knots and better hitches.

People that thrust, Blakes and taughtline generally find elbow problems.

Plus you don't get a lopsided physique.

very true i no longer have a right forearm 2"s thicker now ive switched to a vt and it also builds your shoulders up better plus my elbow is not as bad as it used to be...........2 good reasons to switch alone i will try harder to get my dad to switch as he has to have them quartzone or what ever they are injections mainly in his right elbow from years of climbing on a taughtline and prussic