Poorly Oaks

Glen Poole

Good afternoon all, i was wondering if any body out there can help me identify why these oaks are in such a poor condition? It's an area of 3 planted sites with approx 30-40 mixed species but it's only the oaks that are poor, any ideas? I have recommended mulching & removing supports from most of the trees. I know it looks like deer damage on some but the bark loss goes way higher than any deer could reach

012.jpg.0aec191d14c45294f951a65f5a67a556.jpg

005.jpg.05c2259733db4e67628b7164c68183ad.jpg

004.jpg.8d01f2d39f4ef4e569dd1a3b6cdf045a.jpg

011.jpg.1459bc73b6596eeb764804157700b452.jpg

001.jpg.6d9327283adfa1c730b1fc1f18f4c1ca.jpg

Edited by Glen Poole

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I too thought it could be Armillaria but i couldn't see any fungal mycelium, i'm leaning toward the possiblity of it being Phytophthora

the bleeding is armillaria, thats your armillaria evidence, the bark damage is from deer, hence the specified deer hieght tree guards. This year we had drought early season, increased this kind of damge from mammals across the board.

the bleeding is armillaria, thats your armillaria evidence, the bark damage is from deer, hence the specified deer hieght tree guards. This year we had drought early season, increased this kind of damge from mammals across the board.

Tony i take it the black stains are also on mature trees, i'm seeing it everywhere at present on oak but no stools?

Tony i take it the black stains are also on mature trees, i'm seeing it everywhere at present on oak but no stools?

Not all black deposits like this are armillaria sp, but a very vast majority are. Its rare to see the toadstools, armillarias rely far more on cords to travel around and tend to fruit far less frequently than most others.

Trees bleeding from armillaria attack is a common affair and often its very minor, a single channel, and nothing to get alarmed about.

Its like a sleeper, and really gets its foot in the door till stress enables it to really get in. In this case deer damage and drought