New Holland Alpine Tractor??

blades

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Low CoG, high power, small size, often articulated or 4ws, multiple linkages and pto's, designed for work in mountainous areas...

Doesnt the low ground clearance get in the way? Compared to say a county?

Or am I reading the pik wrong?

Got a few Compacts on a few of the sites I've been working at, but used mostly by the groundsmen/ gardeners rather than ag/ forestry

Yes and no.

They don't have huge ground clearance (though some of the bigger ones are up to 16" clearance) but they'll go across/up/down slopes that conventional tractors won't.

I ran a 50hp one alongside a County and they worked well together.

Or am I reading the pik wrong?

Got a few Compacts on a few of the sites I've been working at, but used mostly by the groundsmen/ gardeners rather than ag/ forestry

I don't think they have proportionally low clearance, they're shorter and narrower than a full size machine but still have decent clearance.... And they're not a compact like a kubota or iseki...

I don't think they have proportionally low clearance, they're shorter and narrower than a full size machine but still have decent clearance.... And they're not a compact like a kubota or iseki...

Ahh, OK, just looked like a Compact so I assumed it was the same deal. Kubota, Massey and JD compacts, but like I said, never used one myself, just seen them in the sheds, around the estates.

Having said that, would a low COG mean a Low ground pressure? I know they arnt the same, but surely they would do less damage than a full size machine?

I don't think they have proportionally low clearance, they're shorter and narrower than a full size machine but still have decent clearance.....

The small wheels all round do make them quite close to the ground in comparison to a more conventional tractor of similar size, especially on the smaller ones.

It only really becomes a problem if you have a cutter who leaves high stumps.

What becomes more of a problem is th overhang at the front if you are going straight up/down real steep slopes. That said, it would still be steeper than anything else could cope with.

They're also good for getting big PTO hp in a small package.

Having said that, would a low COG mean a Low ground pressure? I know they arnt the same, but surely they would do less damage than a full size machine?

The weight distribution means they're more even across the tyres - typically 50:50 front to rear with an implement on the linkage.

Artics leave minimal ground damage as the front wheels follow the rears, though an artic is less stable on side slopes.