Rock climbing in an arb harness - is it ok?

will.morris

Short answer is NO...

It also seems unnecessary to risk both your kit and your life...

I rock Climb and would never use my tree harness..

Dynamic and static designs...

A rock climbing harness may seem basic and light but its designed for its task....

A tree climbing harness is not designed for multiple Dynamic Falls. Would your wear a Cycle helmet on a motorcycle?

Common sense approach....

Arb harness is deigned for work positioning, you shouldn't be shock loading it in you day to day climbing.

Rock harness is designed to be shock loaded.

Obviously the diffence is dynamic rope. I am sure it prob won't damage it but as has been mentioned, you can pick up a rock harness cheap enough.

hi Will/ Drew,

am landing in auckland on 1st dec, coming out on working hol visa and will be looking for tree work. should be in auckland for a couple of weeks if not longer. would be up for going rock climbing or a rec tree climb if anyone is keen, be good to get to know a few folk as well.

cheers,

Pat

Rock climbing gives me the heebiejeebies, but I love indoor walls, great workout!

A rock-climber spotted me in my Sequoia on a job and commented 'Christ, that's a beefy old harness!'.

I think it's quite minimal, but those rock boys wear things that look like g-strings!

Be good to see some pics Will.

another thing to consider is when you get into outdoor stuff if you dont already if you do sport or trad you wont want to haul a arb harness to a crag you will have enough other crap to carry, if your in the uk you can run it all through your business. works well.