Rock climbing in an arb harness - is it ok?

will.morris

Have been really getting into rock climbing at the moment at the local indoor wall. I've only done top anchored belay climbing so far so I can't see this being an issue. But I would like to start lead climbing, so obviously I will be falling at times. My question is will taking falls in an arb harness create load damage as our gear isn't decided to take falls on a regular basis? I have a sequoir with a DMM ring attached to the bridge that I anchor into.

...using a rock climbing rope obviously, value my back and internal organs!

if you take a fall in your Arb harness...you should really retire it and the rope...They are not designed for fall arrest...especially if it,s a long one...the integrity of the stitching fastenings etc..will be compromised..(IMO) that,s why climbing above your anchor point aint a good idea...the worst i,ve ever had is a swing or two...others may say it,s ok...But not me.

as above, normal climbing harnesses are cheap, you can pick one for £20+.

plus if you haven't done any rock climbing yet, you'll soon work out why an arb harness will not work, as it is too bulky, and body position is the main factor, so smaller the better.

PETZL SAMA large 420g climbing harness NEW | eBay

Edited by tuttle

I'd endorse tuttle's comments. For rock and ice you'll want lightness and as little restriction as possible. You will find any arb harness a significant restriction. Silky is right, regarding equipment design but I cant imagine a fall, even a factor one fall, would be likely to significantly damage any harness in most circumstances if you are using dynamic rope correctly.

My first rock climbing was in the early1970's (I was first taught to lead climb at school on local rock outcrops before man-made training walls were common. Somehow I cant see that happening today!). Anyway my first 'out of school' harness was 3" nylon webbing sling; and to this day, I have a disproportionate fear of falling off any route as a result!

Cool thanks guys. I will get a rock harness soon as I get more into lead climbing. For now though I'll just pay a few bucks etc and hire 1 each time. I don't think its an issue on a top rope because if your belayed properly you only drop a few inches.

Yeh the climbing wall is called Extreme Edge in Panmure. Big blue building that just says "rockclimbing" in big yellow letters. Its a really cool play, have met a few arborists there as well who are up for a tree climb soon. Its amazing seeing some of the kids climb, one lad we saw looked no older than 14 and he was bombing through some of the lead courses that were tough. They change the routes around regularly as well so you don't get bored there, sometimes it will just be a very subtle change to an existing route and you think hang on a minute this wasn't as hard last time :lol:

Thanks drew :thumbup1: