Qualifications Importance.

telhol

Have you ever done refreshers?

Why would I ??

I've been using a saw and climbing on a daily basic for 14 years I'm not likely to forget how to do it am I.

If you take a course and only use a saw occasionally I can see the sense in doing a refresher.

I passed my NPTC in 1996.

I took my driving test in 1988, never had to retake my driving test.

I have crashed several, times mostly not my fault.

I have never cut myself with a chainsaw.

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

the real difference between obtaining a nptc CoCs at entry to the industry & the ability of a skilled tradesmen, are easliy observed by seasoned practioneers.

practise = comercial fluidness this can only come with time at work in many senarios,

competance doesnt mean excellence , it is a recognised benchmark for skills to be developed from.

Again as for what is needed in law to use a tophandled saw requires cs 39

which requires cs38 & cs30 31,

along with others such as pa1 etc

the rest is upto the individual , though letting employees loose with equipment without some training ( whether this is formalised external or in house is entirely upto the manager/owner) however if the wheel comes off & you cant evidence the training, then you could be up shite creek without a paddle

Who would be up the creek - the employer or employee?

Why would I ??

I've been using a saw and climbing on a daily basic for 14 years I'm not likely to forget how to do it am I.

If you take a course and only use a saw occasionally I can see the sense in doing a refresher.

I passed my NPTC in 1996.

I took my driving test in 1988, never had to retake my driving test.

I have crashed several, times mostly not my fault.

I have never cut myself with a chainsaw.

do you not think some things may have changed or there may be something you have forgotten

certainly climbing has has changed a little bit in 22 years

do you not think some things may have changed or there may be something you have forgotten

certainly climbing has has changed a little bit in 22 years

Good point Bob, but I think that climbing get together's and the like are far better for picking up new techniques, than have to do a mandatory refresher, IMHO.

And really trees have not changed in all the years I've been climbing, cars and roads have changed more, but I have not been asked to retake my test.

Good point Bob, but I think that climbing get together's and the like are far better for picking up new techniques, than have to do a mandatory refresher, IMHO.

And really trees have not changed in all the years I've been climbing, cars and roads have changed more, but I have not been asked to retake my test.

we could go back and forth arguing about this one

i do wish self employed guys like you should spend some of your millions on training and keeping up with legislation ect

please ask yourselves what would you have to do to be AA approved

and if you have a hgv licence you will have to do mandatry training as of next year or you will lose your licence