New Zealand Flights advice

farmer_ben

Read with great interest, various arbtalk members travelling and living in NZ. Me and girlfriend planning on a 5-6 week trip there after christmas.

We have only ever had european holidays so bit daunted by the flights, any advice would be great. The cheapest we have found tend to be with the longest stops, 12 hours in some places. Can you do anything in this time apart from mull around a strange airport do you think?!

Thanks, this is all very daunting to us so any info would be much appreciated.

It's not anywhere near what your doin but we flew to a very remote bit f Greece and stayed in Rome on a transfer flight in the way back it was during the day so we got a train to town saw the coliseum got a decent pizza and got back to the airport they keep your luggage for connecting flights. So you'll be surprised how much you can do.

We did the NZ trip recently, the one thing I can say is whatever you do, have a stop over even if it's only one night.

We did a non stoper (it stoped in singapore for fuel but only long enough to fill up and kick the tyres)

On the way back the plane broke down in Singapore so we got a night in a hotel compliments of the airline and the diference was like chalk and cheese

As above, take a stopover, it makes a world of difference. I am flying just before christmas, stopping in Tokyo on the way over and LA on the way back. Flights are nearly same cost as going straight through, so only additional cost is hotel and travel to and from airports.

Treat it as part of your trip, pick somwhere you always wanted to see and spend 24 hours looking around, take a shower and a sleep and carry on. You will feel so much better for it when you get there and will be in the swing of things sooner.

First time i went overseas years ago I flew to Oz on a really cheap ticket, it took 39hrs with stops and flight changes, I needed a week to recover when I got there. Never again!

We did the NZ trip recently, the one thing I can say is whatever you do, have a stop over even if it's only one night.

We did a non stoper (it stoped in singapore for fuel but only long enough to fill up and kick the tyres)

On the way back the plane broke down in Singapore so we got a night in a hotel compliments of the airline and the diference was like chalk and cheese

Who did you fly with if you dont mind me asking?

As above, take a stopover, it makes a world of difference. I am flying just before christmas, stopping in Tokyo on the way over and LA on the way back. Flights are nearly same cost as going straight through, so only additional cost is hotel and travel to and from airports.

Treat it as part of your trip, pick somwhere you always wanted to see and spend 24 hours looking around, take a shower and a sleep and carry on. You will feel so much better for it when you get there and will be in the swing of things sooner.

First time i went overseas years ago I flew to Oz on a really cheap ticket, it took 39hrs with stops and flight changes, I needed a week to recover when I got there. Never again!

Thanks for the tips, very interesting. Who are you flying with if you dont mind me asking?