Poisoned trees

Taupotreeman

Wondered where the big chipper was going as I passed it on my way in to Hamilton this morning.weve got tree problems back home too but this time it's the councils park and reserve employees doing this to the trees ImageUploadedByArbtalk1374646014.443030.jpg.4a8e83ae0bb6d710ac2c09c3842fc2d2.jpg

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wondered where the big chipper was going as I passed it on my way in to Hamilton this morning.weve got tree problems back home too but this time it's the councils park and reserve employees doing this to the trees [ATTACH]130122[/ATTACH]

Eh? For real? Council employees nailing their own trees.

Sent using Arbtalk Mobile App

Sorry, just bothered to look at the photo. I can relate to this too. We had the same problem with our guys. Now we don't allow them to trim the trees except one guy that showed enough interest that he now works on the crew with us. For the rest; they are happy to strim the living day lights out of the bark or run over them with the ride on mowers.watch one guy take half the bark off with his strimmer the other day.

We have the same issues here. Lack of education, training and respect for anything.

That's one of the problems old mill. We spent a whole day training most of the guys and explaining the issues they cause with strimmers and mowers. The respect part, now there's the problem. They just don't give a monkeys.

That's one of the problems old mill. We spent a whole day training most of the guys and explaining the issues they cause with strimmers and mowers. The respect part, now there's the problem. They just don't give a monkeys.

If the mowing team are causing damage to council property, ie the trees, why can't the disciplinary procedures be invoked? If one member of staff was made an example of by being given a verbal warning, everyone else may realise how seriously the problem is seen?

I'll be criticized now for being over the top :vroam:

If the mowing team are causing damage to council property, ie the trees, why can't the disciplinary procedures be invoked? If one member of staff was made an example of by being given a verbal warning, everyone else may realise how seriously the problem is seen?

I'll be criticized now for being over the top :vroam:

Over the top and into the moat. Designers and managers who specify and manage grass up to bark are inviting damage. Discipline them, tough guy! :001_tt2:

Strimmers are not scissors. Has no one heard of mulch, or herbicide? :confused1:

Over the top and into the moat. Designers and managers who specify and manage grass up to bark are inviting damage. Discipline them, tough guy! :001_tt2:

Strimmers are not scissors. Has no one heard of mulch, or herbicide? :confused1:

I've heard of mulch treeseer but there are two of us to cover the entire district. That's too manage the tree asset, deal with the paper work, service requests, meetings and then we have the actual pruning, removals etc thrown on top just for good measure. The district is a decent size. End to end, over a 100kms. We mulch new plantings when we put them in (yes we do the planting too) but we don't have time to keep up with trees that were planted last year or prior to that. The mulch around the trees we have done usually gets driven over by the mowers. Not having time to remulch them means they're fair game for those with strimmers once he mowing crews have dealt to them. I watched one guy drive straight over the mulch and into the tree. To be fair, every council is different but I don't think you are aware of the complacency of the mowing crews here.

I know it isn't possible in every location, but group plantings with larger mulched areas would create big no mow/strim areas, which would also be be conductive to establishing mycorrhizal associations etc.

I don't think we will ever beat these problems, you can't educate stupid/apathetic.

I've heard of mulch treeseer but there are two of us to cover the entire district. That's too manage the tree asset, deal with the paper work, service requests, meetings and then we have the actual pruning, removals etc thrown on top just for good measure. The district is a decent size. End to end, over a 100kms. We mulch new plantings when we put them in (yes we do the planting too) but we don't have time to keep up with trees that were planted last year or prior to that. The mulch around the trees we have done usually gets driven over by the mowers. Not having time to remulch them means they're fair game for those with strimmers once he mowing crews have dealt to them. I watched one guy drive straight over the mulch and into the tree. To be fair, every council is different but I don't think you are aware of the complacency of the mowing crews here.

At least you haven't got somebody who thinks you can use a strimmer to do crown lifts and prune soft fruit bushes. :001_rolleyes: Mind you, neither have I..............anymore. :001_smile: