Equipment failure

Tommy_B

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Imagine this guys car brakes or even his kitchen worktop!

If you can be so blind not to see this then elsewhere in life, blindness follows.

If you have a wife you love and children to come home too then that is surely motivation enough to look hard at your kit and change pieces regularly.

Ty

Kind of, yes. But I'm not a sole trader / self employed, I only work on my own stuff or do the climbing and cutting for friends....

As I understand LOLER, employers providing equipment are responsible under PUWER for inspecting and recording the condition of equipment supplied to employees to ensure it is fit for purpose, and the self employed who use their own kit in the course of paid work need to get it inspected as well.

Oddballs like me who fall into the 'homeowner' category are not covered by industrial regulations such as PUWER, only basic law so far as I'm aware....

So on the one hand it saves me the cost of regular inspections, but on the other it means I have to spend double the time inspecting my gear that I would if it was properly LOLERed....

yea never really been sure but i get mine lolered despite being self-employed and noone else using my climbing kit. Like many things we do de rigeur, ive never seen the exact sentence that categorically states our obligations. If i fall out of a tree due to equipment failure and land on someone......

I cant say whether youre oddball or not, but your sartorial choices seem a little err, eccentric......!

I cant say whether youre oddball or not, but your sartorial choices seem a little err, eccentric......!

Think yourself lucky my picture isn't of me in those flesh coloured sequin things they seem to wear on 'that show'...:001_tongue::biggrin::biggrin:

Ref the regs, they're typically long winded, but the closest I ever found to defining to whom LOLER applies is this passage...

35 These Regulations have general application and apply wherever the HSW Act applies. They build on the requirements of PUWER 98. They therefore apply to all sectors, not only factories, offices and shops but also schools, hospitals, hotels, places of entertainment, offshore oil and gas installations, agriculture and forestry. The HSW Act applies throughout Great Britain and has effect wherever work is done by the employed or self-employed except for domestic work in a private household.

In black and white that means we can do what we like in our own homes, but as soon as we set foot outside of there then LOLER applies.... I do however believe there's a grey area around this....

Think yourself lucky my picture isn't of me in those flesh coloured sequin things they seem to wear on 'that show'...:001_tongue::biggrin::biggrin:

Ref the regs, they're typically long winded, but the closest I ever found to defining to whom LOLER applies is this passage...

In black and white that means we can do what we like in our own homes, but as soon as we set foot outside of there then LOLER applies.... I do however believe there's a grey area around this....

my sister hasnt managed to get me anything from her wardrobe work in da capital - the DOI hi-viz takes some beating.

yeah good excerpt - cheers. Thats actually pretty clear.

I wont pry into why it doesent apply to you but the best explanation is that you are acutally Craig Revel Horwood who as we all know likes to play arbz at weekends.......