A wider choice of options...

TerryTibbs

I've done a fair bit of reading on posts by Chris Sheppard and TCD (as they have saws in this range and longer term running experience of them) but everyone is welcome to get involved in this discussion.

I've umm'd and ahh'd over a new saw in the 50-60cc range.

For the record i'm not interested in a Stihl, the 261 is not an option and i have a 372XP so the 362 isn't really necessary, though having a 372XP (currently being Spud ported and tuned) i want a lighter nippier saw for felling up to 30" timber.

The 372 weighs in at 6.4kg so i don't want to buy a saw that comes close in weight, it's for all day use!

346XP - 5kg

357XP - 5.5kg

Echo CS-500 series (though TCD, you reckon on this saw irking you, ant particular points to note)

550XP - 5.1kg - Lots of complaints, is it worth the hassle over sticking with a tried and tested older saw?

Outside suggestions

560XP - 5.8kg

Echo CS600/610

Let's have your thoughts!

Cheers,

Chris :thumbup1:

Hmmm,

I make no apologies for loving some of the new Echo gear - you all know that. My CS-600 has been superceeded by a torquier 610 which will definately be my next 60cc saw. I was so excited about Husky bringing back what I call timber saws i.e. 560 and 550 but the issues with them, I feel leave no alternative but to go elsewhere; that leaves us with either Stihl which you've discounted or the three underdogs which imo are Jonsered, Echo and Dolmar (Makita). I've been protesting for Dolmars in the UK for a while now!

Given your scenario, which is very similar to mine in fact (wish I could get a new MS361) I'd be looking at the echo cs-450 or 510 rather than the 610 BUT go down the porting / muffler mod route; the 450 is known in the states to be exceptional in this respect; the engine leaves plenty of room for mods. The 600/610 is beautifully smooth and wonderfully balanced but not as light as say a ms361.

Yeah, I really regret flogging the cs510 - impetuous that was; didn't even get round to running it in; stupid boy! Likewise the 510 will seriously wake up with a little porting work. The old fashioned metal switch used to annoy me; daft since it's been utterly reliable on the 600. They are cheap too, no autotune, no mod cons to play up.

The other option, especially if you would prefer to avoid going down the tuning route is the Dolmar PS5105; it is very strong in stock form whilst a modded version can be competely nuts - TCF assure me they will be stocking more - again at very good prices; suggest you email them to show there is a demand!

Is this a sign I talk too much? :biggrin:

Something lighter than a 372 but with plenty of go - sounds to me lke a 560 :thumbup1:

It's no secret that when the autotune saws came out I was dead set against them and wanted nowt to do with them - til I tried one :blushing: Bought my 550 off the back of the 560 demo.

We never timed it, but I'd be surprised if there was much difference between my 372 (3/8 15" bar and 8 tooth rim) and the 560 (.325 15" 7 tooth rim) when we were crosscutting in Scot.

I know there's plenty of disgruntlement (my new made up word of the day) around the 550/560 but I can only comment on my own experience of them, which so far has been good.

Talking to Husky at the APF, it also sounds like the majority of people having problems with them are the ones usign them on more arb type jobs where it might be run for a few min and then off for a bit and like that all day, rather than out in the wood where it will be filled up, run til empty, refilled, emptied all day.

The later 357's are OK but don't feel as aggressive as the earlier ones. I have two mid/later 2000's ones and they're OK, but I still find myself reaching for the 372 if we're in branchy hardwood and the 550 now gets chucked into the usual 357 timber.

The 346 just never got me excited - it's not that it's a bad saw, but it just feels very domestic and a bit lardy in the woods with anything bigger than a 13". The difference between a 346 and a 353 wasn't enough to make me want to swap my old 353.

My two penneth (no doubt different to what others think :lol:)

EDIT: after reading TCD's post - I forgot about the Jonsered - I know they're just the same saw as the huskies but I'd have grabbe ther 2250 (or whatever it is) if I could have got one locally, just to be a bit different.

Edited by Chris Sheppard

Or the oleo-mac 956 if you like orange more than red colour :001_smile:

Also Efco 162 more power same weight.

Slower cutting though. 162 is more your 20-years of service firewood saw. Like a husky 61.

I really like my 156, but it's pretty old school. Very much like a husky 254.

I always like the idea of considering left field manufacturers. As it stands I have four saws:

* Echo cs 280wes

* Husqvarna 346xp

* Makita DCS7901

* Stihl 088

So completely brand non loyal.

I'm considering replacing the 346xp for no particular reason other than I fancy a change and it's a bit heavy on fumes sometimes (breathing through my nose the evening after a days cutting is a pain sometimes).

The 50cc Dolmar sounds interesting though!