Advice on A road traffic control

testcricket01

Id use steel if you're pulling a back leaner with a tractor, less worry about breaking ropes. Also make sure you haven't got a throttle happy driver, early pulls can be bad news! Good luck however you go for it, let's see some pics! Got one very similar myself in a few weeks:D

AGREED, DEFFO STEEL CABLE! :thumbup1:

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Read/down load Chapter 8 (red book downloadable)also you hold traffic up for 30 mins on a A road you will be in big trouble 10 mins max and the traffic will be bad enough. plus if you damaged the surface with straight felling what are your contingencies? Its your neck on the line. remind the client if it fails and kills/maims a motorist or pedestrian it will cost the more that a few grand.

A Simple Site risk assessment should give you your best course of action...then stick to it.

if no a Chinook helicopter

Id use steel if you're pulling a back leaner with a tractor, less worry about breaking ropes. Also make sure you haven't got a throttle happy driver, early pulls can be bad news! Good luck however you go for it, let's see some pics! Got one very similar myself in a few weeks:D

Ive got a thick heavy duty rope i bought specially for tractor pulls last time i had a job like this, i have got some pics of the tree but they wont upload for some reason says some message about security or something like that

I've felled some very dodgy trees over roads B roads but never an A road. I'd recommend a electrohydraulic winch if you can get your hands on one. Climb up set steel wire choker clip to the the winch cable. pre-tension and use the remote to keep the tension on as you do the felling cut.

Go for a two lane closure and keep one lane open on traffic lights.

Stop both sides periodically and knock the top off in a half a dozen big chunks.

Each big bit, shove it back into your side of the roadworks sharpish with a telehandler and have a couple of lads with rakes to clear the fragments.

Open up the traffic again.

This gives you a safe work area and plenty of time to deal with the material.

Stop both sides again briefly while you fell the trunk into the field.

Jobs a good 'un. :thumbup1:

Go for a two lane closure and keep one lane open on traffic lights.

Stop both sides periodically and knock the top off in a half a dozen big chunks.

Each big bit' date=' shove it back into your side of the roadworks sharpish with a telehandler and have a couple of lads with rakes to clear the fragments.

Open up the traffic again.

This gives you a safe work area and plenty of time to deal with the material.

Stop both sides again briefly while you fell the trunk into the field.

Jobs a good 'un. :thumbup1:[/quote']

pretty much what i think im going to go for seems the safest and easiest to sort out way of doing it. :thumbup1: if they will pay that kind of money to have it done that is :sneaky2:

Put the quote to them and if they don't accept it then some other muppet will do it and probably not close the road and relise they have not charged enough when half the tree ends up on the road with a nice damage bill and fine from highways.

Purely presuming that someone else who would be a lot cheaper would be like this that's is.