Lee Winger

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ahh, so yet again one of those grey areas...:confused1:

Black and white in my book Lee.

PC plod isn’t going to arrest you if he witnesses a little snedding with an 0200. If there is a (serious) accident however, while using the 0200 on the ground I expect the HSE will descend on the owner of the business like flies!

I’ve done a risk assessment on the 0200 and a method statement for ground-works operations. They both clearly state that 0200’s are not to be used on the ground. The guys have read it and signed it (just in case I’m off site) I don’t intend to be sent down by the HSE.

Top handles on the floor is only against current guidance, not illegal.

Couldn't be arrested for nipping the odd branch here and there when the 26 is blunt!

In the case of an accident with one on the deck i'm sure the hse would prosecute though as it is against current guidance

Be carefull What you say, it may well be the future (electric chainsaws) if were not carefull.

Looks good though, may be we will be sending the saw down for a new battery and not refueling! No smelly two stroke smoke, no exhaust to melt your clothes, no power to finish that back cut super fast before it splits out!

Makita must be stupid to aim this at that market and not put a rear handle on it. How are people supposed to be as safe as possible and adhear to guidance if the manufacturers are making this stuff to sell to people who don't know any better.

I'm more concerned mate that they [sally] are suggesting the saw can be used on the ground, I thought using top handle saws on the ground was illegal? be they electric or petrol

It’s certainly not “illegal” (as Dagmar says). The use of top handled saws is controlled by the HSE who’s remit only extends as far as work situations so Joe public can juggle ms200’s if they so chose.

The other point is that as a battery saw it falls outside the scope of the HSE because all the guidance refers to petrol driven saws. Electric and hydraulic saws are different beasts all together.

And on a final note you would probably be quicker with a silky.

Andy

OK sorry I inappropriately used the word illegal, what I meant/should have said is, it's against HSE AFAG guidelines, the last time I bought a new top handle saw, I had to show proof of NPTC units,not so for this little saw? what happens to me if an employee injures, causes damage or whatever whilst using this saw on the deck? is it ok for landscapers to use a topper on the floor, will there insurance cover them?

My point is this Hort week, shouldn't have published an article , suggesting a top handle saw is OK for use by a landscaper doing some decking or what have you, Stihl make it clear in there brochures top handle saws are only to be used by trained personnel, it seems to me Makita a marketing this saw to gardeners, landscapers and carpenters..

If you're and emplyer, will or do you allow your staff to use a top handle saw on the floor, lastly I seem to remember a few years ago an employer was fined 2k for letting a staff member use a topper on the ground, it's all very confusing if you ask me..

Edited by Lee Winger

If your staff use the top handled saw on the deck it’s down to you, unless like a prudent employer you gave them a suitable recorded training session clearly forbidding the practice…….

And it’s not OK for landscapers to use a top handled saw, if that was one.

Perhaps you should to write to Sally?

Andy

It’s certainly not “illegal” (as Dagmar says). The use of top handled saws is controlled by the HSE who’s remit only extends as far as work situations so Joe public can juggle ms200’s if they so chose.

Thats if they can buy one first, my local saw supplier's , won't sell top handle saws to the general public, no ticket no saw around here!

That saw looks cool. I'd like to try one.

As for top handles not being safe on the ground, how is it 'safe' is it to dangle up a tree on ropes using one, but when on the ground with solid footing, it suddenly becomes 'unsafe'? what a complete load of prime bollocks.