LOLER...essential or not???

The Tree Hunter

Here is an example of our LOLER sheet for my climbing kit. As far as I'm aware there is no-wrong, no-right in the format. You can delete my checks and equipment list and just use the table if you wish.....:001_smile:

Good job on recording maintenance and retired from service. Leaves a good audit trail if you ever do get inspected.

Andy

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You should also check your kit on a weekly basis and record your findings. Those not getting external inspections should be doing this as a minimum. It’s only part compliance but might just keep you out of court./QUOTE]

What if you had loler inspections every six months but did not have a record of weekly inspections. Would that be enough to keep you out of court ?

Here is an example of our LOLER sheet for my climbing kit. As far as I'm aware there is no-wrong, no-right in the format. You can delete my checks and equipment list and just use the table if you wish.....:001_smile:

Is that a NPTC approved form?

That sheet colourful it is , following a discussion with a friend it is not suitable for AA approved contractors . It does not show the qualifications of the inspector, who they are etc. It also does not show CE or EN approval numbers.

I put the place of inspection on my record sheets too.

You should also check your kit on a weekly basis and record your findings. Those not getting external inspections should be doing this as a minimum. It’s only part compliance but might just keep you out of court./QUOTE]

What if you had loler inspections every six months but did not have a record of weekly inspections. Would that be enough to keep you out of court ?

No, your kit may be used daily, or every other day. Its subject to wear, stress and damage and as such must be checked on a regular basis, i.e. every two weeks.

All your kit must also be individually numbered or at least recognisable from any other piece of your kit. If it isn’t it’ll fail your 6 month inspection. E.g. if you have two tool strops, one blue and one red, then that’s fine. If you had two blue ones they are indistinguishable from each other and would need marking.

Is that a NPTC approved form?

That sheet colourful it is , following a discussion with a friend it is not suitable for AA approved contractors . It does not show the qualifications of the inspector, who they are etc. It also does not show CE or EN approval numbers.

I put the place of inspection on my record sheets too.

Like I said....its just an example. I'm not AA approved so wouldn't give a monkeys ar*e if its suitable or not. :sneaky2:

Make your own form up...the form my lads use is a hand-written version of that, as long as its got a date and a signature its fine in my books. My training records tell me who’s qualified and with what, so no need to put that on the LOLER sheets.

take it easy john, i did a non NPTC loler course whoch is fully valid and I was curious as to where your form spec came from.

Sorry mate, mention 'AA' and I go off on one! .....Just made the form myself on word, easy to do.:001_smile: I think LOLER is all too easy to brush under the carpet, which is all well and good untill something goes wrong. Wouldn't want any of us to be asked for our LOLER inspection records by the HSE - be even worse if we didn't have any!

Sorry mate, mention 'AA' and I go off on one! .....Just made the form myself on word, easy to do.:001_smile: I think LOLER is all too easy to brush under the carpet, which is all well and good untill something goes wrong. Wouldn't want any of us to be asked for our LOLER inspection records by the HSE - be even worse if we didn't have any!

do you have a thing about aa companys must be as suthern thing ,thers only 3/4 up north . bartletts in leeds ?

I think alot of this stems down to how your equipment is used and by whom.

for climbing kit i would say that it is acceptable not to do loler inspections by a third party if you and only you use the equipment and never lend it to others or share kit.

As for lowering kit i think this is a must because there will always be someone else using the kit i.e groundie on a rope .

I think i would be happy for a third party to inspect all my kit and if the inspector found a faulty piece of equipent then fine.

Bit like an MOT on a car we have to do it so we do it , if it wasn`t law then would we bother? and would the vehicle be safe for use all the time!

How can you decide what experiance someone has of what condition a piece of equipment is,

all interesting.